What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2x Drosera Seed Giveaway

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
Up for grabs are a packet each of:

D. sp. "Lantau Island"

D. capillaris "Long-Arm"

Harvested today, and without so much as a fleck of extraneous matter. ;)

To qualify, you must be an active member of the forums (the definition of "active" is at my discretion, but if you participate regularly in chat or in forum discussions, you're probably good to go).

Start a numbered list, etc. Winner will be chosen next Monday 8-31 via random number generator. These will be shipped in a plain envelope on my dime. US residents only, please.

Last edited:
I am game if this is still available. Just saw your pics. Thanks!

Oops, missed this one. I'll take anything if it's still available, thanks!

Sorry guys, just missed it. Since nobody responded I already sent them out to somebody. :/

More flowers are coming up though, so I may try again in a couple weeks.

Hey zath do D. Sp "Lantau Island" produce seeds of "Lantau Island" drosera? I remember we had a Convo in the chat and you weren't sure so i was wondering if you found out that they do produce seeds of plants of their likeness and not something else? Thanks hun i got some flowers that just closed up so i wanted to kno if i should lable them D. Sp or D. Sp. "Lantau Island". :)

Drosera sp. "Lantau Island" is a hybrid between Drosera oblanceolata and Drosera spatulata.

Yea so does its seeds make D. Sp."Lantau Island" plants or does it make a Spathulata or whatever. Like with VFTs if u get seeds from many of the cultivars like biohazard they are gonna be typical VFT plants through seed not Biohazard plants. I'm just wondering thanks :)

Would like to kno what i should label the seeds 'D. Species' or 'D. Sp. "Lantau Island" ' :)

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how crossing a D. spatulata x oblanceolata with another D. spatulata x oblanceolata or even self pollinating would yield pure D. spatulata, since that's not exactly possible...To answer your question though, the offspring produced purely with D. "Lantau Island" through cross or self pollination will still be D. "Lantau Island", rather similar to other self-fertile natural hybrids like D. tokaiensis (from my admittedly limited understanding). However, I still haven't seen a formal report definitively stating through genome sequencing that D. "Lantau Island" is a hybrid between D. spatulata and D. oblanceolata in the first place. If any Drosera guru has something to add on or correct, please go ahead - also, does anyone know the chromosome count for D. "Lantau Island" or D. oblanceolata? I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Last edited:
Ok thanks zath...i don't kno what the cross is to make D. "Lantau Island" for sure so i wasnt sure if it breed purely or would fall back on the dominant gene. I'll lable them "D. "Lantau Island".." when their ready thanks for the info :)

KAT,

There's a big difference between hybrids and cultivars.

Cultivars are specific individual plants (that may be species or hybrids). "Cultivar" stands for "cultivated variety".
For CPs, in order to get a another individual plant that is also that cultivar, you usually need to take a cutting.
That's not the case for all plants: in many crop plants, cultivars breed true—think of different types of tomatoes or peppers.
Here you can think of cultivars as of breeds in dogs or cats. Cats all the same species (Felis catus), but you must make sure to breed a Siamese with a Siamese in order to get another Siamese.
If you grow peppers, you have to cross a Jalapeño with a Jalapeño (or self it) in order to get seeds that will grow into Jalapeño plants again. (And there are many, many other cultivars of this species, Capsicum annuum.)

For CP cultivars, like all the different types of VFT, you need to take cuttings to get another individual that has the same traits as original cultivar. That is, they don't breed true. What you need is a clone, a plant that is propagated vegetatively, nor sexually.
So, all Dionaea cv. 'Cupped Trap', for instance, come from the very same plant, the very first plant of that cultivar. They are all grown from cuttings or divisions or off-shoots that go back to one single plant.
If you grow plants from seeds of a VFT cultivar, who knows what will come out. Most likely, a pretty regular looking VFT.

Hybrids, on the other hand, are crosses between species (or perhaps between plants that already are hybrids, as happens in Sarracenia).
For example, any cross between D. intermedia and D. filiformis is called Drosera x hybrida. This is a scientific characterization, just like species. You cannot get D. filiformis back from Drosera x hybrida, the genes are forever mingled between the species. There is also no guarantee that all Drosera x hybrida look alike or that all off-spring of a specific Drosera x hybrida plant will look just like the parent. But that's not the point here: the point is scientific classification. Just like different plants of the same species can look different, two plants that are the same hybrid can look differently.
You can think here of ligers (the hybrid offspring of a male lion and female tiger). If you have a liger that can breed, the cubs will always be ligers, never lions or tigers. (Ligers are usually, though not always, sterile—but never mind that. It's just an example.)
Second generation ligers won't look exactly like the mother (or father, for that matter), just like lion cubs don't look exactly like their parents.

Here's an interesting article on Drosera hybrids by John Brittnacher:
International Carnivorous Plant Society - Drosera hybrids

So, "hybrid" and "cultivar" are categorizations that serve two very different purposes.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Marcus

Last edited:
Back