What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed giveaway, Proboscidea parviflora var hohokamiana

I just harvested a whole bunch of Devil's Claw seed pods and have a bunch of extra seed now, I've promised some out already but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to come up with packs for at least 2 more people.

Shipping is on me, but could anyone recommend the best way to go about that, these seeds are kinda large, around sunflower seed size. I'm not sure that a regular envelope would cut it. Would a bubble mailer envelope be my best choice?

Minimum 50 posts, also understand how to germinate these seeds. Apparently, it can be quite difficult sometimes, I suppose if not done right? Per Johnny's recommendation, and it worked wonderfully, I soaked mine overnight in water and then used the tip of a knife to carefully nick/peel the outer layer a bit and expose the inner seed. Sow outdoors in spring.

Standard numbered list.

Last edited:
1. jimscott I am!

Well the winner is jimscott I guess! Shoot me a PM with shipping info, I probably won't make it to the PO till next week, maybe Saturday. I've had a lot going on, but that should subside on Friday.

I don't think the guidelines were all that strict but I may open this up to anyone in a new thread once I send out everything I need to. I'll see whats leftover.

Congrats to the winner! I would have loved to join, however my yard couldnt sustain these plants because light levels are just too low.
Such an interesting genus..

Lemme know if you wanna try em anyways. Maybe you can find a spot sorta in between that they'll perform in?

Hmm.. There ARE a couple spots in the front yard i might be able to try them in..
PS- do you know where the hohokamiana comes from??

I don't know where the name comes from. I just knew it as the var. with white seeds.

I found this:
The plants from the desert have white seeds with claws that are greater than 18cm long and have been called var. hohokamiana.

here:
http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_prpa2.pdf

Are there still any available?

Back