What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodyera pubescens

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Due to a mistake on my part, and amazing generosity on the part of the seller, I find myself with a few extra of this temperate terrestrial orchid. The genus Goodyera are mostly grown for their interesting foliage, like a temperate jewel orchid. The winner will receive 3 bare root plants. To qualify you must meet at least one of the first 3 AND the 4th and 5th of the following requirements:
1. Be a green Thank You member
2. Have offered a giveaway of your own in the last 6 months, give or take.
3. Your first post was either an introduction or a question, not an entry for a giveaway.
4. Possess the ability to properly cut and paste, or be first on the draw.
5. Pay $7 shipping for a small Priority box.

Winner to be chosen Monday 11/9 at 8 pm eastern, shipped Tuesday.

John, I would looooove to know what media you use for this guy. I have killed my fair share trying to establish them in an outdoor flower bed, but never wanted the work of keeping up with them in pots. When I encounter them in the woods, they're always underneath pines within a puffy, airy matrix of needles/fungal hyphae.

1. Axelrod12 - Thanks John, neat orchid!

John, I would looooove to know what media you use for this guy. I have killed my fair share trying to establish them in an outdoor flower bed, but never wanted the work of keeping up with them in pots. When I encounter them in the woods, they're always underneath pines within a puffy, airy matrix of needles/fungal hyphae.

Sorry to derail this thread John.....

I mostly grow mine in the same mix I use for Cypripedium aucale. My mix consists of Pine Bark Fines, LFS, Pine Needles and Peat.....all in roughly equal parts. I've also had good luck growing them right in the ground (whatever soil composition that may be, I don't know) in my heavily shaded back garden.

The mix in the bed is about equal parts of sand, peat, Mosser Lee sphagnum and soil collected from under a stand of white pines. The soil is full of pine needles in various states of decomposition. On top of that is about 4" of pine needles. This bed was built around a white pine with Cypripedium acaule in mind. I also potted some in a mix of peat, perlite, fines from a bag of pine bark mulch and LECA.

Last edited:
1. Axelrod12 - Thanks John, neat orchid!
2. hcarlton-after looking it up, I'm prompted to enter just for the name....

Sorry for the late post, winner is #1. Contact me asap.

Back