What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several 6"-8" wide rooted Nepenthes Alata plants. They all have nice pitchers on them and are in great health. The colors on these are super variable with some being almost all red while others are mostly green. Grown in my greenhouse in central FL. I am interested in most if not all carnivorous plants. If you are interested please let me know as we can for sure make it happen. I am not looking for a crazy amount of stuff in trade, I'd rather help someone's collection than say no! Thanks In advance, you're awesome!!

Do you have pics? Actual N. alata is rather rare in cultivation, you likely have the commonly mislabeled N. x ventrata or possibly graciliflora.

I'm interested, whatever it is. I love nepenthes lol. I'll pm you later, after pics.

Nick

Photos would be useful, I agree. Its likely you have N. Ventrata, which is often sold by "sideline" merchants as N. alata, unfortunately.

No. I know what nepenthes Alata is but the doubt is just great. Thanks

Even if you have 100% certainty they are N. alata posting pics is still a good idea to show the different pigmentation of the plants you're offering.

You can interpret it however you want. I don't care but before you assume someone doesn't know what they're talking maybe keep your doubt to yourself. I would've put "I have nepenthes I don't know what they are." This is why I've stayed away from forums. There are always a few guys that just know they are the smartest people ever and no one else could possibly know the same or even more information. Il run it by you next time I trade something and you can tell me if I'm right. Cool? Awesome thanks professor. By the way I have these plants with sticky leaves I have no clue what they are, others have cups at the end of the leaf if any wants to trade. I dont know what they are. And don't msg me back to tell me you're great and I'm an idiot. Save it

Last edited:
Wow. Well just so you are aware, the two people who replied really are some of the best growers on here and they took the time to try and help you. We deal with a lot of newbies who don't know what they are doing and from the looks of your profile you appear to be new to CPs. Not saying you are but with less than 20 posts and only a few months registered that's how you come across. Without pictures I too would have a bit of doubt as to the purity of your N. alatas. This is a forum with people from all walks of life coming together to share growing techniques and have fun. No one called you an idiot and if anyone here was out of line it was you. Please play nicely if you are going to be a part of the forums.

First, no photos = low credibility. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen someone offer N. alata for sale or trade and what they did in fact have was good old Ventrata, you and I could have coffee somewhere nice together. You did not provide photo documentation, so how were we to know what you were really offering. And gosh - I am so glad you know what you're talking about. Perhaps its a shame that people interact on the web the way they do, but a relatively new member with only 14 posts to his name hasn't yet earned a reputation - either good or bad. People judge every situation based solely on what scant information they have. As I say - if only you'd provided photos as requested.

But never mind that. As you yourself have suggested, you can "save it". The angry retort isn't warranted. Though I suppose we now have a better impression of your temperament, at least. :)

Nodody here knows you from a can of spray paint, and you're offended that people want to see pics of a practically unavailable plant you offered that when it is offered more often than not is something else entirely. If you're that thin skinned, the internet probably isn't the place for you.

+1 to all of you guys

Hey [MENTION=11910]plantsnfish[/MENTION] and [MENTION=10847]charlie[/MENTION] check out the
Like this post
feature to the bottom left of each reply and use those to express when you like it :)

And I'll add since I am here, that I understand the questioning that has happened in this thread. There is quite a bit of miss identification on that plant and their offers to have a look at photos to help verify the identify for sure (both to you and/or themselves since it's possible they are interested in said plant) was not out of line. You could simply say you are sure it is and leave it at that (where they would probably not be interested in it then, since they would like to verify for themselves it is the plant they would like to have), or you could post a photo and be done with it. If you do have one, and show a picture you're sure to get a better trade out of it than yelling that it is N. alata but not backing that up with a photo upon request. Which again, people requesting a photo of a plant up for trade is quite normal, most people just know to put one in there since it is known people would like to see what they're making offers on.

Andrew

It's funny that if I actually told you how not thin skinned I am you'd report me to your cool guy leader and I'd get kicked off. I'd be more than happy to let you know though.

Last edited:
You also have no clue of how much of a "nerd leader" or "cool guy leader" I am since you have no experience with me. Nor how I react to reports, but I guess I should throw a hissy fit over having assumptions made about me, huh? ;)
Andrew

This has devolved pretty quickly. Let's keep it simple: People requested a picture of a plant that you want to trade. Most people will want a picture of a plant they are to trade for. Alex, you can provide one or not, but don't expect too many worthwhile trade offers without one.

Furthermore, if you do fail to provide pictures to someone you trade with and the plant turns out to be something else, you risk end up on the bad-trader list. Mistakes in ID happen, but you've had offers to ensure that the ID is correct. Offers made in good faith. Take them or leave them.

If you have an offer or would like to participate in relevant discussion, please post. If flaming continues, thread is closed. And as a final note, aggression towards users or the admin, the guy who takes money out of his pocket to provide this forum for all of us at no charge... Not a great way to make friends in the community.

Last edited:
Relevant to this subject, someone has just this afternoon posted an auction on fleabay for two plants of N. alata, which are obviously N. Ventrata. Barely a week goes by that we don't see this error made, either through inexperience, naivete or carelessness.

A question. Has anyone here ever laid eyes on what Ecuagenera offers as N. alata?

Here it is:

Attachments

• Orchidaceae Nepenthes alata .JPG
    Orchidaceae Nepenthes alata .JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back