What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Drosera anglica

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
Looking for a handful of this plant.

Check over my grow list for trades!

Temperate or tropical form?

Temperate!

I could help you with seeds, if that's of any interest?

Get enough seeds and that would be, in my opinion anyway, much better then adult plants. Just saying.

I could help you with seeds, if that's of any interest?

Would love some! What were you thinking as trade.

Get enough seeds and that would be, in my opinion anyway, much better then adult plants. Just saying.

I've read seed can be very hard to germinate. Cold temps and bright light needed. I was hoping to get the instant satisfaction of plants but seed is a great project for next year. Have you had success with seed?

I have grown some from German seed and Alaskan seed. For me I got about 20% to 30% germination, so not great. Could have been old seeds though, who knows?

I have grown some from German seed and Alaskan seed. For me I got about 20% to 30% germination, so not great. Could have been old seeds though, who knows?

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's better than nothing!

Would love some! What were you thinking as trade.

Send me a PM with your address, and I'll get some seeds from two different locations (I think, I have to check) on the way for you.
I'm easy regarding the trade. Small utric plug? Sundew seeds?
Let me know what you can spare.

20-30% germination sounds about right. Since I'll be sending you more than 3 seeds, you should be OK. ;-)
Give them at least six weeks cold stratification, probably better more. Some say to stick them in the freezer rather than the fridge for stratification. I never tried that. Did someone else?

Marcus

Last edited:
Some say to stick them in the freezer rather than the fridge for stratification. I never tried that. Did someone else?

Nope, I did the fridge for 5 months but I kind of wonder if I should have tried them outside all Winter instead???.

I would not stick the seeds in the freezer. While some might naturally experience frost in their habitats, it doesn't do anything good beyond what normal cold stratification does, and you may risk destroying the seeds. Also, with the handful of temperate anglica forms I've grown, 4 weeks stratification is more than enough, and I got fairly good germination rates; couple dozen German anglica growing from one sowing of seeds, probably in the range of 70%. I would say I have some of those available but I have no room for anything new myself :)

Nope, I did the fridge for 5 months but I kind of wonder if I should have tried them outside all Winter instead???.

I got a couple of new germinations after a winter outside once, from a pot in which I had stratified D. intermedia, grown it for the year, and then overwinter the plants—for what it's worth. And for some reason have D. rotundifolia popping up in Sarracenia pots after the winter all the time... love the little guys, so no complaints.

I'm guessing the chills that pots left outside get are harsher for the seeds than being cosily tucked up in some sphagnum in a bog under a blanket of snow.

Last edited:
Back