What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow, it has been a long time since I have been on these forums. My life got pretty crazy for a while, but I still actively grow my carnivorous plants.

So, I experimented with cuttings since I have last been on here, and way more of them survived than I was expecting. So, now I have 8 rooted cuttings of a fast growing "mystery" nepenthes (I'm thinking it is probably Nepenthes alata, though it was marked as "Nepenthes Coccina"). Here's an image as an example http://i.imgur.com/WkFMSN8.jpg

These cuttings are rooted, most have already put out pitchers, and they do well in temperatures as high as 90 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and temperatures as low as 65 degrees Fahrenheit during the night (though they will do fine at regular household temperatures). They make for great windowsill plants, though they won't pitcher as much with low light. Pitchers produced by cuttings are about 2 inches long at the moment, and the parent plant regularly produces pitchers 5 inches long (sometimes longer). The parent produced a lot of basils and thick climbing vines.

This giveaway is for people just starting with nepenthes, who currently have no more than 5 different species or hybrids in their collection. PM me for shipping arrangements, because I am not paying for shipping with this one.

Just a little heads up: the Nep you have is N. 'ventrata'. N. alata has speckled pitchers, and a thinner, more delicate peristome. ;)

Just a little heads up: the Nep you have is N. 'ventrata'. N. alata has speckled pitchers, and a thinner, more delicate peristome. ;)

I think you're right, I forgot to compare it to that common hybrid. And "delicate" certainly does not apply to any aspect of these cuttings.

Sarah...I'd love the opportunity to receive a cutting. Just starting with CP's and bog plants in general. Is this a reasonable introductory plant?

Yeah, I concur with Benurmanii, that is almost certainly an N. x ventrata and not N. alata. You can see the influence of the N. ventricosa parent in the red color and tubbier pitchers than would be expected from N. alata.

It's a very good plant if you're growing Nepenthes or even CPs for the first time, though you'll probably have to be a bit more careful about watering than with other beginner species since Nepenthes really don't like soggy or stagnant soil.

Last edited:
you'll probably have to be a bit more careful about watering than with other beginner species since Nepenthes really don't like soggy or stagnant soil.

You can get away sitting ventrata in water, I sometimes have water up to half of the pots height when I have to leave on vacation. Regardless w03 is right, and as a general rule you should not stand nepenthes in water unless absolutely necessary.

1. DrNo7 - I don't have any nepenthes! Just Drosera! Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to mention, it'd be best if those asking for these plants lived in the United States, because I am not sure if I would be able to ship them outside of the country in which I live.

Back