What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss available

• Thread starter Dexenthes
  • Start date

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Hello everyone,

I am very excited to announce that I just recently finalized my purchase of a parcel of property that happens to be almost entirely comprised of untouched sphagnum bog or "muskeg" as we call it here in Alaska.

I now own a nearly bottomless supply of sphagnum moss varieties including red, orange and green.

I am happy to do trades or sales for any quantity (within reason) of these mosses.

I will also be giving away one sample portion of moss (about 1 gallon or more) at random. So start a numbered list with your name on it if you are interested in winning that. Expect more giveaways in the future when I have more money to pay for shipping.

In terms of trades, I am very open to offers of any kind. I am especially looking for some S. purpurea sbsp purpurea

Congrats on your purchase, Dex! As a past recipient of some of Dexes' sphagnum I can attest that this is some lovely stuff.

I have a baby purp if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is definitely wonderful Sphagnum and some lovely property to own. Do you plan on planting S. purpurea in the Sphagnum? Bluemax gave me a sample which I unfortunately killed (bad peat tainting the water tray, horray!) and I would very much like some more so I think I'll start it off

1. nimbulan

I have a baby purp if your interested.

How baby are we talking? got a pic?

It is definitely wonderful Sphagnum and some lovely property to own. Do you plan on planting S. purpurea in the Sphagnum? Bluemax gave me a sample which I unfortunately killed (bad peat tainting the water tray, horray!) and I would very much like some more so I think I'll start it off

Yes, that is the plan. I just planted my first Darlingtonia seedling up there yesterday. I plan on planting as many hardy Sarracenia as I can.

Yes, that is the plan. I just planted my first Darlingtonia seedling up there yesterday. I plan on planting as many hardy Sarracenia as I can.
I'll be curious to see if Darlingtonia are cold-hardy enough to survive the winter up there. What USDA zone are you in?

On a good day its 7b or 8a. If the recent winters are any indication of a trend in climate, then this place may become 8a.

The seedling in question actually sprouted from seed that I simply tossed into my bog garden outside. My other Darlingtonia seem to be surviving this winter so far. We had temps down to 14 F for a week or so.

That's interesting, I'm always looking for nice top dressing options!
Even outside the giveaway thing I'm definitively interested in the sales part (or trades, I have some Sarrs but probably nothing really interesting), just PM me.

1. nimbulan
2. emc2

It's a rescue plant from lowes bout 3 inches across just starting some nice leaves. I'll have pics later.

Nice purchase by the way. If you want an interesting project there was a fellow around here that planted one purpurea in a bog in Ohio and it turned into a full population.

1. nimbulan

2. emc2

3. tmurphy44870

That's warmer than I thought, but then again you do live pretty far south and right on the coast. That should be really nice if you can get a good colony of them growing! Have you thought about flytraps? I understand there's an introduced population in a colder region northeast of Seattle.

wow nice! good luck to you.

1. nimbulan
2. emc2
3. tmurphy44870
4. Plant Heathen

1. nimbulan
2. emc2
3. tmurphy44870
4. Plant Heathen
5. afrodisa

Last edited:
That's warmer than I thought, but then again you do live pretty far south and right on the coast. That should be really nice if you can get a good colony of them growing! Have you thought about flytraps? I understand there's an introduced population in a colder region northeast of Seattle.

I've got one flytrap that seems to be hanging on throughout the winter. I would like to plant some on the new property, they'd have to be bit well established plants I would imagine. It might be best to just scatter lots of seed around and let whatever wants to sprout do so.

1. nimbulan
2. emc2
3. tmurphy44870
4. Plant Heathen
5. afrodisa
6. davie

1. nimbulan
2. emc2
3. tmurphy44870
4. Plant Heathen
5. afrodisa
6. davie
7. Bijillon - this would be perfect for my neps!

Happy Growing,

Dillon

Congrats Nimbulan you just won this moss.

PM your address please

Awesome thank you! Now to set up another bird-proof container to grow it in...

Back