What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northwest Indiana pollination traders

Im looking for people to get together and help pollinate each others nepenthese plants in the area. Ive read most neps are male and it would help people to get to know other owners and help the pollination process along to get seeds and interesting cross breeds. Im not sure of the sex of my Ventracosa yet but I will update once it flowers. This is obviously not a good time of year for this but getting to know people ahead of time will help when the time comes.

You'd be better off just waiting to be able to sex your plant, and then ask (if female) if anyone on here has pollen, or (if male) as if anyone has female plants about to flower. It would increase the variety of plants to cross with your ventricosa, as more people other than from around your area could send you pollen, or you send them pollen, in the mail.

Pollen can be saved by refrigeration for about a month, maybe longer, if I recall correctly, though the window for fertilizing a female plant is a bit short.

Most people store pollen and ship it all over the country to cross things; it can be stored for at least 3-4 months in the fridge, but it is far better (and easier) to dry it in aluminum or wax paper packets and store it in the freezer where it will last more than a year (I still have truncata pollen from last May that's still good). You will find generally almost no one nearby will ever have pollen, but somewhere else in the country there's nearly always something blooming.

Back