What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angel trumpet plant

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    trade

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I am looking for a angel trumpet plant (it's not a cp). If anybody has one to trade let me know, we'll make a trade.

I have seeds for Datura somewhere in my seed fridge. It's related to Brugmansia. Not as big or tropical of course you may already know this. If your interested in some Datura seed, let me know.

I think thats the one Dustin. I'm not sure. Howard Stern was talking about it on his show a couple of days ago.

Hi Ozzy,

I'm curious, what was Howard saying about this plant?

Glenn

Sorry Glen I can't tell you on the forums
sad.gif

I'll send you a pm as soon as I get home from work today.
smile.gif

Ah Datura is the old botanical name I think. But same plant I belive. If you want a pic of mine Ozzy just say so.

My inlaws grow it! I can get you seeds!
No problem. I will call Tommy (F.I.L.) and ask him to grab a pod or two...I think I want some, too.

Datura...Jimson weed...moon flower--beautiful plant. I love them...they grow into a fairly large shrub. I'd have one myself if I had the space for it. Flowers open at night and moths pollinate it.

But Ozzy...you be careful with that.
smile.gif
Its poisonous.

Hehe.  Now that you call them by those names I actually know what you guys are talking about.  
wink.gif

I'm curious to know if you guys know what colors the blooms are in the seed you have?

White,
and PlantAKiss, the flowers at my inlaws are open all day and all night long.
confused.gif
Are we talking about the same thing here?

if your still looking for it i have many different colors, there's white, pink, yellow, raspberry ripple, double purple, and the list goes on!
Syble
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But Ozzy...you be careful with that.     Its poisonous. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Why do you think I'm going to eat it?
biggrin.gif

Woa wait a second, are we talking about a VINE or a PLANT. There's a big difference between a Brugmansia and a moonflower/morning glory.

Ozzy,

I have some seed of the white flowered Datura. It is definitely poisionous. I read about some folk that tried to get off by eating it. After their experience they were moved to write a long article on the subject! Now I wash my hands after touching it. The flowers have a great perfume to them. It's a cool plant!

Hi Ozzy -

Both Brugmansia and Datura are tropicals referred to as "Angels Trumpets" and all parts of both are very poisonous. We put them behind some fencing so the dogs don't accidentally ingest them.

Daturas are usually grown as annuals, from seed. The flowers point up or up/sideways. Brugmansias are perrennials, with long flowers that hang and point down - I plan to cut ours back and bring it indoors for the winter. The ones I watered and sprayed with compost tea got HUGE this summer.

I can send you seeds from the Datura (white flowers purplish centers), or try to take cuttings of the Brugmansias (not sure the color yet, both about to flower) for you.

Let me know if you are interested.

WildBill

oh i've heard of this plant . i grow it as well . my neighbor had a big tree and she gave me cuttings and they wonderfully . they flowers bloom all day and are big , i don't know why you think they smell good to me it smells musky a bit . i've enerv heard of them being annuals , your probably thinking abiut brugmansia probably or jimsom weeds that i can find growing as a weed anywhere , there seed pods are spikey and the sap from any part of the plant is poisonous . i've seen amny forms , tree growing , low growing , bush growing , white flowered , oink flowered , yellow flowered , all sorts . my plant datura does not make seeds for some reason . if your talking about the vine morning glory i have that too but it grows like a weed .

It is a very pretty plant. I have one about six feet tall. It will kick out about 20 HUGE pink flowers at a time. In Florida, it needs shade during the hot afternoons to thrive.

Very. Dangerous. Plant. I have it fenced away from the dogs. My neighbor that it faces made a joke about it. I hope it was a joke. I feel like posting a warning sign over it.

Of course, how do I get it? The Lowe's around here that gets the odd stuff had a plant just sitting around. Label: "Angel's Trumpet -- Part Sun" Me: "Pretty." I thought the name sounded like a veiled warning, "Hmm, when would you hear an angel's trumpet?"

When you're dead! Doh!

I get home, put it in an internet search engine. "Whoa, honey, this is not going in the back yard.

Datura is called Devil Trumpet while Brugmansia is called Angel Trumpet

it is easy to tell apart from this two genus if you remember this poem:

Angel Trumpet
look down from Heaven.
while Devil Trumpet
look up from ####.

tounge.gif
wink.gif

trumpets

]
EdEducate me -
Angel trumpets = perenials
Devil trumpets = annuals

Reason asking never heard of devil trumpets and I saw a double purple and white trumpet and thought it was an angel. My wife not being well and loving purple I ordered seeds. I grew several and brought the plant inside to her and just oooooood and ooooooooooh over it.

I would like if possible to obtain some red and yellow angel trumpet seeds.

Any assistance given is appreciated.

God Bless

Back