What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pesiolino

I could send you some(maybe trade or somthing(if you dant have anythign to trade i would settle for some italian money)
LMK if your interested
enoc22

Order them online from the United States Postal Service, USPS

Vic

Whhhhhooooeeee!

I got up this morning and found 16 requests in my email!!

This is shaping up to be a great project!

Keep them coming!

And now, my disclaimer:

Pygmy species present a very difficult taxonomy. After reviewing what I sent out last year, I realize I made some ID errors. My apologies if I have spread confusion along with the plants. I am still learning, and there is MUCH to learn, so I hope all will understand I try my very best to keep things straight, but well, mistakes happen. The summer before last season birds rearranged my plant reality by pulling out markers. This season, I fared much better and am more confident my ID's are accurate. Just so you know!

My thanks to you all for your interest and willingness to try these plants. With the prolific reproduction these plants demonstrate, there should be no reason why they are not common in collections and freely available worldwide. It is ESSENTIAL that they find places in private collections, and soon: their home in Australia is under attack by the forces of "progress" and populations are vanishing yearly. As Cper's, we have a duty to these living jewels to keep them for future generations. For this reason I feel growing CP carries with it a little bit of "nobility": it's above and beyond typical plant hobbys. Being willing to maintain these plants at your own expense is very commendable, and you deserve to be thanked.

Thanks again for all the nice comments you all are making. So many of you have said I was your "inspiration" or your "hero". I just want to say that the reverse also applies: it is your interest and dedication that fuels my own and gives me the inspiration to do this work. Without you, there would be far less reassurance that the plants will continue into the next century, but from what I am seeing on the various world cp forums, the chances are improving for these plants all the time. It feels good!

The old guard must pass, and it will be the newbies and kids of today that will carry it on. Perhaps most will abandon this hobby with time, but for some of you it will become a lifelong love and endless passion. It is to you, and those like you that the plants will call most loudly, and although you may leave the art of cultivating them at different points in your life, they WILL call you back.
Phill Mann said "They get in your blood" and he is right!

So to you, (and YOU know who you are I bet) I ask, implore, beg and plead: carry on this work. Learn your craft well, and teach it. "Seed the World", as my friend Patrice says. You will make a difference.

Tamlin, one of the things I enjoy about you best is how poetic and well spoken you are. You are definitely an inspiration.

Oh, you mean I am full of it, huh Coppah? Hmmmm, it didn't get me out of the speeding ticket though. I errr, couldn't produce a lisence on that particular occasion. It's not that I lost it or anything, it's just that I never had it to begin with, see. When the Cop said "I'd like to see your license" my reply was "so would I". I meant it too! I told him that I had neglected to apply for one (ever) and he thought it was hilarious: laughed all the while he patted me down, he did! It was good impetus to get a lawyer (and my license you bet!), and by some strange quirk in the Justice System it turns out I wasn't *really* speeding at all, but that I had failed to obey a traffic control person.
wow.gif

All seriousness aside (hee hee), I was born with the gift of blarney, sure. But all that I said I really mean, right to the tips of my tentacles. As for you, you keep right on doing what you are doing: you are a POWERHOUSE of generosity and sharing, and you know how good it feels. Even if nothing more were to come from it, the giving alone makes it worthwhile to the giver!

If you don't have it to give right now, then take your share and no worries, be happy! Your day will come. I promise, if you are good with the pygmy species, it will come next season at the very latest.

Tamlin, thanks a million for this offer! Instead of adding to your e-mail, I figured that I would just ask here: When should I send an SASE for the later season gemmae? Also, I sent you a PM question about gemmae a day before this... Sorry! Anyways, you are the greatest!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif
blues.gif

Lithopsman,

I'll dig out that message from the pile and reply to it.

(*Addendum: I just checked and it isn't there. Email it to me and I'll respond.)

You can send the SASE at any time.  Just write "wait" on a note and dont forget the million dollars (optional) I need. hee hee.  I will wait until I have a good assortment, but please let me know how many pots worth you have room for: I hate to waste the gemmae, and I have many many many many forms.

Anyone not getting more specific is going to get a default number of 4-5 species when I have them, unless you are requesting gemmae "NOW" in which case you will receive the D. paleaces ssp ? which are now ready to go out.  

Keep in mind each species means you need room for a 4 inch pot in your set up.  Because you have to keep the gemmae close to the tubes, you can only fit a row of pots 2 wide the length of a flourescent tube for best growth and color with the surface nearly touching the lights.  You can't grow them well even 8 inches from the lights, they must be CLOSE.

Anyone got time to measure out how many pots will fit 2 deep along a standard 4 foot fixture?  It might help others to assess their needs.  Also remember, the lights are only needed until nice weather allows the plants to go outside in natural conditions (which they should do).  For me this means October - April.  A 2 tube unit costs almost nothing to run for 6 months, and the payback is worth it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 01 2003,11:02)]Anyone got time to measure out how many pots will fit 2 deep along a standard 4 foot fixture?
10-12 per row depending on the pots, so total of 20-24.

Steve

Hi
thank for post that about being close to the lights
last time i tried gemmae they where like 8" away and never sprouted(or i guess i should say grew)
now i know why(and when i get some i'll lower my lights or higher my pots)
Thanks
Oliver

enoc22: I would say that the light this close help them to grow better, but if the light is more far away from the gemmae, the plants will sprout/grow anyway. I have sown a lot of differents species with a fluos 12" away in a cool basement with great success...

Wow, I have never had success like that with lights so far away, Tommy you must have a very green thumb or mine must be black! I guess everyone produces different results under different conditions, and experiments are always worthwhile. My advice is always based on my experience with the plants, but other methods could certainly work. Try some different methods and go with what seems to work best for you: advice is always local and never set in stone. The real advances in CP growing come from those who break the rules!

Did you get my sase? thanks,Noah:blues:

William, thank you for sharing... one more sase is headed your way.

Chris
biggrin.gif

I am bumping this topic back up.  Some of you may wish to read back through Tamlin' posts at his instructions and care tips.

Please remember that he politely asked you to 1) not ask for more gemmae than you have space for   and 2) to have your pots ready beforehand so when the gemmae arrive, they don't sit around in a baggie for a couple of weeks until you are ready.

If you don't know what kind of care the pygmies take...get cracking!  Research it!  Ask other drosera/pygmy growers.  (Don't bombard Tamlin with PMs and emails asking what to do....he's VERY busy packing gemmae!)

It is one thing to put some effort into it, try your best to grow something new and fail.  But not to make the effort to LEARN how to care for them and not provide the right environment and have them die...to waste these wonderful little green eggs would be a crime.

The more people growing these plants...the more gemmae next fall...the more the plants can get spread out yet again in an ever widening circle.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

Thank you for that Plant-a-Kiss. If anyone needs cultural advice, once again, please take the time to read this article:

http://www.cpzine.com/article.aspx?cid=13&y=2002&m=10&d=12

If you can't be bothered to take the time to make an honest effort to learn what it takes to grow these species, then please don't ask for them and let someone else have them who will.

The distribution is going well, and the first sendings will be going out tomorrow. Thanks to some very generous Forum members I will be able to send follow up sendings to those who only provided one SASE. When you receive your D. paleacea, please take the time to email me and tell me if you would like another sending if you only placed one SASE with me. If you have a SASE on file, no further action is needed, and the gemmae will follow as they are produced.

Pondboy,

The D. paleacea ssp. ? went out to you yesterday.

Back