What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides gemmae

BCK,

Had to let you know not to worry about your mailing technique. 100 % germination rate from the gemmae you sent!! Thanks again!! Most kind of you.
laugh.gif

Glad to hear they came through OK, Copper
smile.gif
!

The rest of you will be glad to know that I got the gemmae posted today so you should be getting them by the middle of next week.  If anyone's arrives DOA let me know.  If I have gemmae on hand I'll send replacements, otherwise I'll put you at the top of the list to get them next year.

smile.gif

BCK

Wow, that was fast!!! Everything showed up in perfect health. Thanks again sooo much Steve!! Tell ya something. I had someone send something on the 4th. priority mail. and I am still waiting for it. you sent two days ago. regular mail and I got it already. Makes ya wonder sometimes if priority is worth it huh?
Thanks again!!! -I owe ya
wink.gif

Andrew B.

same here, mine came in the mail today. Thanks. Can I leave it in the bag till later or do i need plant it asap?

I would also recommend sowing them as soon as possible.
This gives mold less time to form on the wet gemmae and, in my opinion, you get healthier plants growing from fresh gemmae.

smile.gif

BCK

Recieved Mine!
Thanks

Do you have any more
I would love some
Pygmes have becum my fave now
i just love them
if you do tell me to pm

i just recieved mines today . BCK , oyur shipping technique is great , it's a sure way to make sure that things arrive ok . as for the gemmae , i put them on a pea tnad sand mix in 4 inch pots outdoors , i may need some growing tips as i hear d. scorpiodes i not very easy to grow . the gemmae were larger then any gemmae i ever seen so i'm sure they will germinate . thank you very much BCK .

Thanks BCK!!!

I have a question about using perlite in the mix (since i don't currently have sand, and don't want to wait until the NECPS meeting saturday when i'll get some). Did you use just "normal" sized perlite? It seems it would be kind of grainy for something small like pygmies and gemmae...

I use the standard size perlite without a problem in the main soil mix. I use a fine layer of peat on top of the peat/perlite mixture. However, over time the perlite can and usually does start to show itself. When it does, I either leave it alone or remove it if it starts looking bad.

I personally trust the perlite more than I do sand. I had very bad luck with sand which killed all the gemmea. The sand tested ok with the vinager test. The same peat was used in all pots regardless if sand or perlite was added.

This photo should help you in seeing the size difference in the perlite and the pygmy dew.

D_LakeBadgerupForm2.jpg

I also use standard sized perlite in my mix,  as well as sand, without a problem.  I do not mind the look.

D muscipula,
The perlite I use is bulk packed for the green house I bought it at. They then scoop it out into a small bag when you come in and ask for some. It has every size from dust on up to almost pea size pieces. Big pieces of perlite that interfered with young plants, I removed or crushed into smaller pieces. I would use whatever you usually use as long as it helps keep the peat from compacting.

smile.gif

BCK

Wow! that was fast my Gemmae are already starting to germinate!

Thank you very much BCK for the generous supply of gemmae! They are already starting to form tiny roots.

-Homer

Thanks BCK, Recived my gemmae last monday. looks like I'll have 100% gemination.

Chris

Thanks alot BCK. My gemmae came today. Look good, some have already started to grow roots in the bag, will this be a problem? Thanks again
Ktulu

ktulu, the roots won't be a problem if you use a little care putting the gemmae onto the peat so as to not dammage the root. It will eventually grow down into your potting mix on it's own.

smile.gif

BCK

BCK, thanks for the gemmae, which arrived a few days ago.  They were in such good shape that I'm hoping that all -- or nearly all -- will grow.

Back