What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides gemmae

PM sent, I hope it works this time
biggrin.gif

Looks like 100% germination on those D. scorpioides gemmae you sent me!  Thanks again.  They are very robust and are rooting very quickly.  
smile.gif

-Homer

Got 'em BCK! Thanks! I'm going to sow them tonight.

I recieved the scorpioides gemmae today.They came in fine shape.I want to line up some of those little boxes for next year if I'm lucky enough to get them to produce gemmae
biggrin.gif

Thanks again Steve.I will have to start new cultures of fruit flies for them when they get going,LOL.
Take care,
Mark W.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Wilson @ Nov. 29 2003,12:08)]I recieved the scorpioides gemmae today.They came in fine shape.I want to line up some of those little boxes for next year if I'm lucky enough to get them to produce gemmae
biggrin.gif

Thanks again Steve.I will have to start new cultures of fruit flies for them when they get going,LOL.
                                                              Take care,
                                                                    Mark W.

You're welcome Mark!
I PMed you about the box, but since I have had several inquiries about them I'll post that here for others.
The boxes I sent the gemmae in are recycled from where I work (wastewater treatment plant).  They are the lids off the boxes that broth tubes are shipped in.  I then cut rectangles from "Sturdy Board", which is a paper coated foam board for making posters and signs, into reactangles for lids.  Some of you may have access to broth tubes or similar test tubes but most will not.  I only get about one lid a week so my supply is pretty small, so if anyone out there knows where to get similar containers, please let us know!

smile.gif

BCK

BCK, just wanted to let you know that my plants are already more than .5 an inch tall. Thanks again.

Mine have begun sprouting! I can`t believe how large those gemmae are! Thanks-again!

Steve,
Just thought I'd tell you that almost all the gemmae have started been growing and man they are awesome
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It won't be too long and the stray fruit flies wandering around here will have to deal with my "Pots of Terror",LOL. No need to seal up the holes the flies escape from the frog tanks through!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Wilson

My scorpioides are nearly 1" tall!  Haven't lose one that I can see.  Awhile back some even caught pesky fruit-flies.  
laugh.gif

-Homer

Very cool Homer,I can't wait until mine are that tall and open for business.Mine are about 1/4" so far.
Mark W.

Just wanted to say thanks publicly. Every gemmae sprouted and I have lots of new little plants. Thanks again. Hopefully I can spread the joy when mine become big enough to inundate me with gemmae.

Thanks again!!!
biggrin.gif

Glenn

Thanks guys, I'm glad they are doing so well for everyone
smile.gif
!

Glenn, inundate is an understatement
laugh.gif
! I still have gemmae left that I need to get rid of.

Darcie, I got to goofing off playing video games and missed getting them in the mail. First thing Monday though!

smile.gif

BCK

Here's a pic I took today of one of my scorpioides.  

scorp.jpg

Seems to be growing well, and catching its fair share of bugs.

-Homer  
cool.gif

Well, here is an updated photo from one of my pots.

Drosera_scorpiodes_plants.jpg

WOW,
Mine aren't that big yet! What kind of light cycle do you two have yours on? My lights are running along with the sunrise/sunset chart.Should I just jump them up to like 12-14hours of light?
Mark W.

i still consider myself an amature, but lemme tell ya, im really suprised that my Scorpiedos arent that big yet and they come from the same batch. You guys must be providing an artificial envirment indoors ro sumthing.. My plants chill in a terrarium outdoors so the weather its exposed to is all natural. But i live in Texas and maybe Texas weather aint the best growing conditions.

Right now my plants are getting 15 hours of light under 6-4ft flourescent bulbs. They are about 8 inches below the bulbs. Temperatures are between 65-75°F.

Let's see, I have my pygmies on a 9-15 hour rotation throughout the year. Right now, they are getting 9.5 hours of light a day.  They are under 2 fluorescent 4 foot bulbs about 3-4 inches away.  While they were gemmae, I top watered them every day or so (misting).  Temps are 60-65 low, and 70-75 high.

hope this helps  
wink.gif

-Homer

Do you still have any more left for SASE?

Back