What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most beautiful sundew?

what is a good sundew plant to give as a gift
(for a girl) any one have any thoughts on the subject?

I would vote for Drosera capensis: big, beautiful and forgiving.

I agree, but go with the 'albino'. When in dew it can be breathtakingly beautiful.

I didnt have to hard a time finding the plant an it does look nice
but i couldnt find albino vesion of it
if you have a url or even better a picture could you post it?
thx for the reply's

If you do a search under its latin name Drosera 'alba' you may have more luck!

Thats not the latin name!!!

A species D. alba exists! Because of that the white D. capensis form is now called D. capensis 'albino'.

Hi, James! Also found as Drosera capensis var. alba, and I have plants and seeds. PM me guy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ Jan. 11 2004,01:22)]Thats not the latin name!!!

A species D. alba exists! Because of that the white D. capensis form is now called D. capensis 'albino'.
Thanks for the update.
biggrin.gif

Dionaea Muscipula,

As a girl, I can tell you that you can easily make a super pretty gift and get away with being manly! If you've got the time and inclination, get a little glass bowl 4-6" across. It can cost between $1- 5 at a craft store. Fill it halfway with spag moss and small dews or pings. If you have live spag already that's good. If you don't, you'll need an extra month or two to grow it inside the bowl.

A plastic slurpee top is great for the bowl either dome side up or down to control the humidity inside. *When the dome side is down fungus gnats can't seem to figure how to get out, heh heh* If you use capensis you'll need a bigger bowl.

I've got one of these bowls ready to bring to the office that has a p.primuliflora inside. I think that when it flowers the top will probably hit the top of the bowl, but no worries since the slurpee top has a hole! Also, I haven't had to water it in over 3 weeks, since the bowl does a good job of keeping the humidity high yet with enough circulation from the slurpee hole. It's left in morning light and then full indirect. I'm going to place it in my co-worker's western facing window that seems to get full light for most of the day and see how it does.

Great little gift if you think waaaaayyy ahead. But if not, I'd go for a capensis any day! The regular and albino look good when next to each other.
laugh.gif

Whos the girl? Btw where do you work wicked?

Michelle, I have CPs at work and they are in a west-facing window and do just fine. I have great color on my D. adelae. You will enjoy your CP bowl at work.
smile.gif

Another very nice one is D. venusta. Its a large rosetted form with wide spoonshaped green leaves with beautiful red tenticles.
Or another personal favorite of mine is D. filliformis. It wont move and curl around prey like a D. capensis but it is quite impressive the way its fiddlehead shaped new leaves unroll straight up.

Good luck
Steve

Hey Pond Boy,

I work at Loyola Marymount University. I have 2 southern facing "windows." I'm in the basement, so I just see a wall, and don't get any direct light. My coworker has the western facing window, so she's the one that will get to enjoy my cp bowl! I'm going to try with a p.primuliflora in a completely enclosed cup and see how that does. Last time (different office, same floro lights) I couldn't even keep a capensis alive
sad.gif

Back