What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MI Banana

o_O um, my uncle asked me to check even thow it isn't carnivorious because so many people have other cool plants here.

So, does anyone here grow the Michigan Banana Tree, it was created specifically to grow in our state and he has been looking for one
smile.gif
Thanks.

Hi Darcie,

Do you mean Paw Paw which is native to Michigan and has fruit which is reminisant of Bananas. There are several cultivars from Michigan.

If you are looking for hardy bananas, you can find them in good plant catalogs. They will need lots of protection in Michigan if you want them to survive the Winter!

Glenn

Are you talkng about musa basjoo which is hardy to michgan. This is very tolerant to cold as low as -20

the wild pawpaw doesnt look like its found in sothernmost part of Michigan

There is a city in Southwestern Michigan Named Paw Paw. Several varieties of Paw Paw have been bred here in Michigan. I live here and have yet to see one in the wild. I know they are here, I just don't think they are very common and are only in certain sections of the State.

I've been thinking about planting some in my yard but haven't yet. My Father has two seedlings growing in his yard in Ohio which he planted. They grow very slowly almost as slow as CPs!

Glenn

Back