What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for : pinguicula macroceras

Hi Friends,

I am looking for gemmae or seeds of Pinguicula macroceras, the unknown variant (Rondeau, 1995) that can be found in the cascades of Washington, between Mount Rainier and Mount Baker, USA.

Anyone growing this ?

I can offer in exchange many other Pinguicula temperate species

You may want to e-mail Peter Amato, he showed me a slideshow of pictures of the species growing north of MT Shasta... Looks just like vulgaris!

You may want to e-mail Peter Amato, he showed me a slideshow of pictures of the species growing north of MT Shasta... Looks just like vulgaris! I think he has a bunch, too... he'd probably sell you an extra or something

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]species growing north of MT Shasta
However, Eric was asking about plants growing in the Cascades of Washington, between Mount Rainier and Mount Baker, which is a L O N G ways north of Mt. Shasta (over 550 miles).

I'm pretty sure Peter D'Amato's slideshow plants are from Gasquet, which is at the CA/OR border. Still it's quite a ways from the Cascades. I don't think Hawkeye Rondeau grows any of the P. macroceras variants.

In fact I follow Steiger's opinion thinking that the population found there need more investigation and Schnell's decription of the publication of Rondeau : "These plants have smaller flowers (<20mm), short scpaes (<7cm) and smaller rosettes. There is no mention of overlap of the petal lower lip lobe or the character of the spur. This variant is presently unnamed".

I have P. nortensis at home now (thanks Joseph, Pinguiculaman). This is not this population I was asking for. I really love Pinguicula and all populations are of interest.

Interesting how much each species varies at every site, isn't it!
biggrin.gif

epbb,

I'm guessing that Schnell used Rondeau's 2nd Edition for that quote. I'll see if there has been any updates from Hawkeye on that region's plants.

Back