What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free seed for sase!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Aug. 04 2004,10:34)]I have never tried seed from a "Green Dragon" plant, but I have selfed and grown seed from 'Red Dragon' x 'Red Dragon' and all of the resulting seedlings were red like the parent. Because the 'Red Dragon' seedlings are red, I think it is likely that many of the plants being traded as 'Red Dragon' are not from the original clone. I think that may be the reason that there are many reports that their 'Red Dragon' plants are disappointingly small. We had a post discussing this point a few months ago.

I would be interested observations from anyone that has grown "Green Dragon" F2 seedlings.
That is because the red dragon is not a clone, but an actuall breed.  It was the first VFT mutation to be stablised by selective breeding. And they should be small, the finer build of the plant is part of the definition, although they CAN get to be rather tall, they always have a slim build and from the ones I have had a chance to work with, it takes them longer to reach the larger sizes, but they always get to it eventually. Really, if you have a heafty plant that looks like a red dragon it's probubly a misslabled green dragon or a tissue culture mutation similar to it. Personally, I like their delicite structures more so then the bulky typicals.

I think wth plants the term is "strain" although I`m not 100%

Got my seeds today, Thanks!
smile.gif

well really, all red dragons are clones of the original red dragon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well really, all red dragons are clones of the original red dragon.
Actually, JLAP, that may not be true. Because of the definition of "cultivar," which only states that a speciman must match the described characteristics, you could theoretically re-create a red dragon (or any other cultivar, for that matter) from completely new parents. As long as the new plant matches all the published descriptions of the cultivar, it IS said cultivar.

This is why it pays to be VERY detailed when describing a cultivar for publication.

I saw your post just today. Do you still have extra seeds for me? I am from India.
If you have any seeds for me, please send me an email at pramodisha@yahoo.com.
Pramod.

Phil, thank you for the seed. They will be sown today.

Back