What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spatulata "Suzy Q"

I have about a dozen or so extra Drosera spatulata 'Suzy Q's that I am going to give to other cp growers. As you might know, Tamlin named them Suzy Q and PAK gave me some seeds from her supply. I don't need as many as I have so I decided to give most of them away. Also Tamlin informed me that the name is not officially legal yet.

What's the best way to determine who will recieve the plants? Should it be on a first-come-first served basis, a contest of some sort, a drawing OR...I'm thinking about maybe an auction with all proceeds going to Pond Boy? Any suggestions?

The photos below show them now and when they were nigh little greensprouts-about six of them would fit on the head of a pin.

Alan

dspatqcu.jpg

dspatsq3.jpg

dspatsq4.jpg

You should make a poll to decide which way you will get rid of them.

hmmm, Im just curious, what difference does Drosera spatulata 'Suzy Q's' have from typical spatulatas?

You can make a poll to see who would be qualified to decide who could be on a committee to figure what to do with them.......
smile_l_32.gif

Nice little plants, BTW.

Joe

Make us pick a number between 1 and 100!

Or do the auction thing.

Capslock

Well, I think the simplist way to decide and be fair at the same time is to leave the offer open until Sunday night Aug 15, then I wil print the names of all of the requestees, cut them into single pieces fold them up and put all in a box and shake it up. My wife will then draw 12 names. No need to worry about honesty because I have no preference for whom receives the plants.

CK and Griffin, good idea though. Thanks

Bybliz, I don't know as I am far from being a Drosera expert. You might try asking Tamlin Dawnstar.

Capslock, another good idea thanks.

NG the camera is an Olympus D550 3MP (not a very good camera) with an slide projector lens fitted over the camera's lense. The macro pics were cropped from a very tiny portion of a 1944 by 1488 pixel image.

WT, I believe that's correct.
Edited

It is named for PAK, but it isn't legitimate until published, so at best double quotes and not single quotes should be used. Single quotes are used to indicate legitimately published and registered cultivars.

This is a small growing species of uncertain origin that came from seed sent to me supposedly of Drosera communis. Rosettes are a very rich orange red in color, and a mass in a pot is a very pretty sight especially when the short scapes open their large pink flowers.

One thing I can say about D. spatulata is that is is highly variable. I am not sure which form is regarded as typical, but we are stuck with a very diverse set of characteristics within the same species, and it makes life difficult for a lot of growers.

Since this is to be distributed I better get about publishing and registering it!

You are so right , Tamlin. My first spat came from Peter Pauls @1979, and it had wedge- shaped leaves, kind of like a D. aliciae. I don't remeber seeing one like that since.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Single quotes are used to indicate legitimately published and registered cultivars.

Sorry Tamlin, I'll remember that in the future because I didn't know the quoting procedure. Now I do. Thanks for pointing that out.

Do we submit our interest for one of them here, or through PM?

I'd like to give a spatulata a try, and have another plant to add to my 4 plant collection.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do we submit our interest for one of them here, or through PM?

Either way is fine Fygee. You are added to the list.

Arigato.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Arigato

You're very welcome Fygee.

This worked out very nicely because everyone who requested a plant gets one. No drawing was necessary.

Thanx a million buddy!

-Juan-Carlos

Recived the plants today buddy!! thanks a million they look great!! I really really appreciate it!

-Juan-Carlos

by the way, got mine a while ago, its doing great!!

Have they all been given away?

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Back