What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amendment to usda aphis

• Thread starter CP2k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    seeds
I don't surpose anyone would have any updates on this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dear Stakeholder:

The following docket has been published in the Federal Register and is open
for your comments:

Docket No. 02-119-1; Importation of Small Lots of Seed Without Phytosanitary
Certificates

We are proposing to amend the nursery stock regulations to allow the
importation of small lots of seed under an import permit with specific
conditions, as an alternative to the current phytosanitary certificate
requirement. This proposed change is necessary because several entities
that import small lots of seed-individual importers, horticultural
societies, arboreta, and small businesses have had difficulty obtaining the
necessary certificates and have been adversely affected by the phytosanitary
certificate requirement.

We will consider all comments that we receive on or before June 28, 2004.

You may submit comments by postal mail/commercial delivery, or by e-mail.

For additional information, see attached link:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/webrepor.html or contact:

Dr. Arnold Tschanz, Senior Staff Officer, Regulatory Coordination Staff,
PPQ, APHIS, 4700 River Road, Unit 141, Riverdale, MD 20737-1236, (301)
734-5306.

Sincerely,

/s/

Linda C. Toran

Management Analyst

Regulatory Coordination, Plant Health Programs

Linda.Toran@a...

Useful information:
Info
Scroll down to: " Importation of Small Lots of Seed Without Phytosanitary Certificates"
Haven't read the whole thing yet, but I definetly do not like the "maximum of 50 seeds per taxon".... The section about shipping cost is also very interesting.....

Not to toot my own horn, but I may have had something to do with this consideration.  I spent two weeks phoning every Customs official I could get hold of and discussed the issues involved, and the need for these engdangered species to circulate amongst those who are motivated to maintain and preserve them.  I explained that those with the dedication would not be put off by a sensless and arbitrary law designed to moderate commmercial imports, and that the law was effectively making crimminals out of heros.  I was impassioned, and I was told that my comments would be taken into consideration.  This is good news to me, even though I have not checked out the site links yet.  50 seeds is a good quantity of Drosera seed: more than I send out usually.  If the law can legitimize small imports, it will be a great shot in the arm for the important work of introduction of these species to cultivation, lessening the need for subsequent additional collection impact.

I have said it before and I will continue to maintain my stand: it will be a great day when money concernes relative to the distribution and spreadng of these species are abandoned.  Rare plants bring premium prices, but do not serve to establish the plants widely.  If it is an easily grown plant, it should be free, or highly affordable.  The only thing that prevents rare and easily cultivated material from being available to all with the desire to do the work is simple greed and ego on the part of those that have it and would turn it to their personal profit.  Let's leave that stuff to the Orchid growers and continue to make each other happy for the sake of the plants and the future, and hope that APHIS continues in it's willingness to aide the process.

Edit: I just checked out the links. Most of our seeds will just likely get stuck on that red tape, but it is better than nothing I guess. The process is essentially the same as the current legal protocol, just much less expensive and more timely.

Sigh. I am rereading my email from the USDA , and AFAIK, you don't need any paperwork with seed, unless they are CITES I (N. rajah and N. khasiana). However, this clearly indicates that Phytosanitary is needed.
This inconsistency maybe explains why I got slapped with a $2500 fine, and one USDA person said "They have no reason to do that" and another said "You don't have a leg to stand on."

Joe

Back