What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted cp's for school

• Thread starter Daniel
  • Start date

Last edited:
hey, Hellz Here,
idk if u knew, but im not sure if your allowed to ask for plants, although u are asking for plants in order to teach, it maybe ok.
also, what i think you should do is contact the ICPS. here is the link to there website: ICPS
I do believe they give free seed away to those needing it for educational and/or scientific reasons (Check The Seed bank Section)
Some CP's are very vigorous and easily grow from seed, and its would be a good experience to raise a plant from seed, and watch it eat it's first fly (o yes, they grow up to fast  
smile_m_32.gif
). This way, the student can keep there plants, and you can always just get more seed when it is needed.
Hope this has helped you,
Hellz

o, and one more thing, i dont think you should try venus fly traps from seed. they takeke a verylong time to reach flowering size, and for the first few years, youll be looking at them through a magnifying glass. what i suggest to you is to buy the VFT bulbs from petflytrap, because i think they are the cheapest on the web now (so hurry b4 it ends!)
i do reccomend though, D. Capensis (any form of this plant does extremely well),  D. spatulata, And D. Intermedia (if you go with this, go for the tropical forms like Cuba or Venezuela, as these dont require stratification, or dormancy).
once again, good luck with your venture,
Helllz

Hey DK I could donate a P. primiflora if you would like one. just let me know, I always seem to have lots.

Hellz, good lookin' out, but I think it's ok... This isn't begging for personal greed.
Also, I don't know what VFT's YOU'RE growing....but I have one that's about 15 months old and over 4" in diameter....and about 3 or 4 more of the same age only slightly smaller....

Schloaty,

I have never heard of a VFT growing that fast before-I thought HD was close to accurate on his statement. I have never grown them past a year from seed, though. I would love to hear what you are doing as, a flytrap from seed that big that quick sounds great!

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Joe, I just followed Wildbill's advice. I stuffed their faces with the smallest things I could find - aphids, fruitflies, whater would fit in their itty bitty traps. I think that was the difference maker. Wildbill's are doing about the same. He's even got one or two that are bigger than mine.

i wish i had that here at my school. I could of went to a high school that did but it was 3 hour drive .

Why, did I start to say "WOW!" about advice on actually feeding one's carnivorous plants, lol? I will have to try this sometime.

Thanks,

Joe

o, i c, i need to start buying fruitflies!!! i have all the stuff to cuture them, as i used to have a culture myself, but it died out... lol
Hellz

Back