What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's trumpet seeds!

schloaty

Staff member
Hi!  I'm fairly sure these are Devil's trumpets, but I'm not 100% positive. At any rate, my mother in law is inundated with seeds from this beautiful flower.  The plants get to the size of a small bush, and starting in mid to late summer, produce large (3 to 4 inch diameter, 4 to 5 inch long) trumpet-shaped fragrant white flowers.

Oh, these plants are poisonous, so keep away from critters or KIDS that will much... I don't even think DEER will bother these. 

I don't know if they are annuals or perrenials, but they come back every spring...whether from seed or dormant root is unknown.

Hearty to at least zone 5.

Anyone interested?  Trades are appreciated, as my mother in law loves plants of all kinds, however I will certainly send out seeds for s.a.s.e

Oooh I want I want. Poisonous plants how nice
smile.gif
Are the poisonous when touched or only when ingested?

Piranha, I'm not sure.  I know that if you cut the flowers, you have to be careful not to nick yourself with the scissors.  But just touching the plant won't bring any unfavorable results.  I've transplanted a few seedlings with *twitch* no problems *twitch*

Just wear gloves to be safe! *spasm*

oh schloaty, these are datura. I have been growing them for years and yest they are very poisonous. But theres no worry because these are grown outside and its not like your having a datura salad
smile_n_32.gif
. i have thousands of seeds also. I am guessing you have the purple variety? you can rub the plant all over you it wont hurt you. well the seed pods are pointy.

Hey CK,
  Well thanks for the tidbit.  Datura, you say?  Nightshade family, right?  At any rate, the booms on this sucker are pure white...There might be a yellowish tint deep in the throat, but I can't quite remember....might be remembering the light shining through the walls in the evening or something else poetic.

And yes, those seed pods are SHARP.

I'd really like some seeds! I'll send out the SASE tmrw

I have two... they got attacked by tomato/tobacco (not sure) hornworms. ... they're really ugly-looking :p
just one question... will they flower in full shade?

There are plenty of nasty stories circulating the underground spirit-bending cult about these beautiful plants. I'm actually surprised no one here has yet mentioned anything as far as what the effects of the toxins in Datura has on animals. I think it's basically a very very very long night terror mixed with numbness and delirium. From what I have read it seems to make a heroin overdose seem like a half-pint of the weakest beer you can get in Salt Lake City.
There's one nasty case of an 18 year old male in Germany who suppposedly drank a tea made from Datura parts, then proceeded to cut certain pieces of his body off (if you want details, search the net, 'cos I'm not going into the gruesomeness of it all (you can also check erowid.org for any crazy info)).
I for one would stay away from any risks of ingestion of any plant material, including seeds. In sufficient quatities the poison will kill.
I find them beautiful nonetheless! A living death indeed!

My 2 cents (or should I say pennies?)
Amori

PS. No, I have not or shall never take any of the drugs mentioned, as well as many many others!

Lol. Daves passing off halucinaginic plants to kiddys
smile_n_32.gif
This is one plant I`m not going to try even if it one day becomes a cp:O (I tried N.fusca sarawak nectar yummy)

I'm sure Dave wouldn't do such a thing, heheh. Not exactly your Friday night party booster, unless you want an intense Halloween experience (resulting in minus a few limbs and patches of hair maybe)!

Mmmmmmmm.... Nep nectar..... I swear, it's one of the best sweet things I've tasted in my whole life. Can't wait to try some of that "lemon sherbet" from a packed N. lowii lid!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what the effects of the toxins in Datura has on animals
depends on the animal :p
tobacco/tomato hornworms can eat them like candy. It doesn't protect them against parasites either... My hornworms got parasitized by wasps. every single one of them! ugh.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Oct. 26 2004,8:01)]I'm sure Dave wouldn't do such a thing, heheh.  Not exactly your Friday night party booster, unless you want an intense Halloween experience (resulting in minus a few limbs and patches of hair maybe)!

Mmmmmmmm.... Nep nectar.....  I swear, it's one of the best sweet things I've tasted in my whole life.  Can't wait to try some of that "lemon sherbet" from a packed N. lowii lid!
I have thousands of those in my backyard. While beautiful they spread like weeds. I have about 10 lbs of seed though colelcted this year and I still didn't collect all the seed pods!

Fine; hominids, most possibly hominoids as well. There, I specified it!
smile.gif

my bearded dragon ate the leaves and he had no effect. they come in many colors i grow purple and the white ones you say.

Does the devil's trumpet grow into a tree. When I used to go to high school, some of the kids were talking about a plant or tree that had bellflowers and that it causes halluincation effects when eaten or cooked or something. And that it causes negative hallunication effects. Cause if this is the plant, there's a backyard full of them next to my school
smile_k_ani_32.gif

is that a question?
and no.
that may be angel's trumpet. they get bigger.

It's probably brugmansia which is related to datura, has similar flowers and leaves but has a woody stem.

Hey Guys, I found out that this is Datura innoxia. Actually found it while searching for angel's trumpet. Hmmm.

I saw them on the net with both white and purple flowers. The seeds I have are the white flowered kind.

It is alright. I have this under sontrol. I have fooled Dave into sending me some seed. I will germinate it and run test on the plant. He may just be the newest thing in drug trafficking.

Home > Plants & Seeds > Seeds > Perennials > A-D > Angel's Trumpet (Datura inoxia)

Angel's Trumpet, a native of Mexico and the southwestern United States, is a tropical perennial once associated with Indian religious rights. Also called Indian Apple or Sacred Datura, this spectacular ornamental was acclaimed "very splendid" by Boston seedman Joseph Breck.
Angel's Trumpet grows three to five feet in full sun with ten inch leaves and seven inch flowers. These fragrant pure white, trumpet-shaped blossoms only open in the evening or on cloudy days. The spiny, ball-shaped fruit, poisonous like most Datura species, is also highly ornamental. USDA Zones 6-9.

Also the flower made famous in the Georgia O'keeffe painting.

Back