What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted: water plant

Doe anyone have a waterplant to aireate a Androvanda tank for trade? I would prefer water lilies but will do with many other plants. I cannot possess (its illegal in Fl to have these class 1 invasives) water hycyane, water lettuce.

Pistia stratiotes is a class 2 but it is still a problem plant.
Eichhornia crassipes is a class 1.

Here are two other class 1s off the top of my head-
Eurasian water milfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum)
Hydrilla (Hydrilla verticillata)

You might want to take a look at this-
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/invaspec/2ndlevpgs/perrules.htm
Complete list of class 1 & 2 species will be contained therein.

My our still in hibernation, can you wait until April?

I'd love to help you Tre, but I've got nothing. Have you tried growing moss aquatically? I hear sphagnum loves to be floated on top of water, if you can come up with a way to do it. You might also go down to your local aquarium shop and take a look around - you can get dwarf papyrus seedlings here from PetSmart for like $4. Admittedly, it wouldn't be big enough for an outdoor planting or anything, but it's a start...
Good luck!

PS - Lucky Bamboo looks nice and is easy to find/propogate. Not sure about its effect on the water chemistry though.

Yes I can wiat until april. Lucky bamboo dies outside (I have tried). I am not going with paprus b/c it grows too rapidly and the roots will get everywhere and I do not want to destry my adjoning bog if I need to dig it out. I have tryed flaoting sphagnum but cannot figureour how. It keeps becoming wet and sinking

Take some long, narrow pieces of wood (1"x1"s or wall molding or something) and make some squares. Put chicken wire or window screen mesh over the squares and secure it with nails or staples or somesuch. Put the sphag on top and drop it in the water. Viola! It will eventually sink when the sphag gets heavy enough, but you can always upgrade to a frame of PVC pipe or something less dense.
I hope that works, 'cuz I haven't tried it and I'd feel like a jerk for putting you through all that effort. :)
Have you looked at transitional grassy plants like cattails? I wish I knew more about the natives in your area; that's probably your best bet.
~Joe

Yeah, I might try iris or something. As long as its cheep I can do it. My problem is that there are no pond stores except pet-supermarket which does not really have anything I am looking for.

Home Depot carries a few aquatics at least here in California. I could go check out what they have next time I go.

Well maybe california has better home depots. Ours (NE Florida) only has water plants in summer and most are dead. Besides I do not know what constitues a good plant.
Thanks for hte suggestion though,
Tre

Back