What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More free nepenthes for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was fun when I did it in June, so here we go again.

I have 5 nice nepenthes that I plan to send to five different people.

These plants are rooted cuttings, growing in 4.5' pots for at least a year.  I will even pay the shipping.

The Neps that I plan on sending out will be various hybrids or easy to grow species. I am not at the Gardens right now, so I don't know what they will be for sure. The plants will be labeled. If you want one you have to meet the following requirements:

1) You have to have less then 10 carnivorous plants. Be honest now!

2) You must never sell the plant, or its cuttings, you may trade or give only. Pay it forward!

3) You MUST PM me the story about how you got the CP bug. What inspired you to get into plants? Be spacific, and tell the story! Keep it clean, this is a family show.

I will accept PM's on this subject untill Wednesday 2/16/05 at MIDNIGHT! The best five stories win! Your story WILL be shared with the rest of the class...

Good Luck!

Steve

Here is an example of what I am looking for:

I always enjoyed being outside when I was a kid. I was fascinated with all kinds of natural stuff; mostly frogs and bugs and snakes.

I did watch a little TV and my favorite show when I was growing up was QUINCY. Some of you may remember this show. It was kind of a 70’s version of CSI. I loved this show and was convinced that I wanted to be a Forensic Pathologist when “I grew up”.

So, when the time came, I went to School at Eastern Illinois University, and started out as a pre-med zoology major. Some of the classes I needed to take were in the Botany department with this crazy professor named Dr. Arzini. Doc, as we called him, is someone I always like to mention. He has passed away now, but I will never forget him. Doc was the one who turned me on to plants. He opened my eyes to the fantastic complexities and unique diversity within the plant kingdom. I was soon taking care of the university greenhouses some weekends and then summers. This is where I saw my first Nepenthes. I changed my major to Botany, and never looked back.

It also helped when I realized that I needed to become an MD first before I could pursue forensic pathology. When you add all that school up, its like 103 years or something…

So, now you have an example of what kind of story I am looking for. The one above is true by the way

Steve  
smile.gif

I believe that I am out of this one. Good luck to the newbies!

less than ten? I have more P. primuliflora plantlets than that! LOL!
smile_h_32.gif

problem is newbies dont stay under 10 plants for long, heck im sending 8-10 Utrics and Drosera to one of our newest members. good luck newbies!!!!!

lol i was under 10 plants less than a week ago.
smile_n_32.gif
but i ant anymore so, yeck good luck to u all. Thanks

Brad

I was a newbie once.....it wasn't that long ago. Now I have way more than 10 plants mostly neps too. Cutting time is coming soon!
smile_m_32.gif

good luck newbies..ive been growing plants for a littl eunder a year...am i stilla newbie though?

I currently have 12 kind of cps (I'm saying "kind" because I do not want to count how many capensis and binatas are actually in the large messy bushes they make in their pot.)
Too bad.
Do germinating seendlings acount as well?

I ran into this a bit last time I did this contest. If you have a few more then ten and consider your self new to this hobby, then go for it! I don't think I will have 100's to choose from. Remember, its all in the way you tell the story. Make it interesting, you may just win a nice nepenthes cutting. A few people on this list can atest to the number of plants on my cuttings bench. You may just walk away with a gem.

Steve

I have less than 10 plants... Do I qualify Steve?
smile_n_32.gif
Well, you also know my story since it all happened at FMG, that and I live abroad (darn it!). Beginners (I hate using this term, but...) out there, go for it! Definitely worth the effort for the plants Steve has on offer.

Amori

I think I have aleast 10 plants I have recieved from Steve.
smile.gif
Well maybe not 10 but you are a generous man!

I would post some pictures of them all grown up but I can't figure out how to post them on petflytraps web space so therefore I can't post them here.
confused.gif

Glenn

i HAD only a bunch of seedlings but my shipment from dangerous plants arrived today what a coincidence so now i have 7 full plants and seeds so i think thats less then 10

I think I have too many, but only after recieving a bunch of little plants and cuttings from PFT vets... Before last week I had 12, not counting some seed that's stratifying. I'll PM about it anyhow, for kicks.
~Joe

I am sorry I could not use the private message. I don't know why but is isn't letting me private message. I have less than 10 plants. I am very honest. I promise I will not sell the plant or i'ts clippings only trade or give away and this is a promise on the holy bible.  I don't have any ecause my mom won't let me have any plants unless I use my own money because she thinks if I use my own money I will be better off and she thinks I'll do a lot better with my own money because it will nock some sense into me and I will water them and take care of them better if it is my money not hers.  I want the plant because I need it very badly for Boy scouts merit badge that I am urging myself to get.  The merit badge i want to get is on collecting and I wnat to collect some venus fly traps and nepenthes because those ones my Mom does not do.  I want to be diffrent from my moms plant likings. I like carnivorus plants because they are cool and decompose the fly taking away all it's juices. The nepenthes plants are good because the bugs want to suck its nextar and then the bugs same as the venus fly trap get decomposed. and if i win I'm going to have to ask my mom if she will say yes to the plant. My mom does not get home almost until March.  Sincerely,Nick PS if I don't win it will be ok.
smile_m_32.gif

These are Plants that Steve kindly gave me.  Just wanted to let people see how nice they are once the grow up.

sanguinea jan 04.jpg

N. sanguinea

ventricosa jan 04.jpg

N. ventricosa

Those look pretty nice.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
Its not locked, it just was moved into the Nep forum. If you go there and open the thread the reply button is active.

Cheers
Steve

LMAO ok sure just go figure it out for yourself and then delete that part of your post so now mine makes no sense.. hehehe

Accolades Crunch!   Good job registering.  This is a wholesome family site, you chose well.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back