What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini-auction for Preserve Donation!!

I have some S. alata that HoustonHerp and I rescued from the Covington LA site.

I have decided to send the remaining plants for a donation to Geraldine Watson, of the Watson Pinelands Preserve, in Big Thicket National Park, in Tyler County TX.

I opted for this benefit over ICPS or NASC because I wanted to help a local CP preservationist, in the spirit of "Think Globally; Act Locally."

Minimum donation $10 per plant.  Some of the plants are not fully mature, so I may send multiple plants instead of one mature one.  I will try to honor requests if you'd rather have multiple young plants, or a single mature one.

I will pay all postage, and ship via Priority Mail.

More information coming on how i will collect donations.

The donation is to Geraldine Watson, who maintains the Watson Pinelands Preserve in Big Thicket National Park.

Quoting HoustonHerp from the CP ListServ:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is a small private preserve in Tyler County, Texas called the Watson Pinelands Preserve, only a few short miles from more well-known CP sites. It is owned by Geraldine Watson, a woman in her eighties who has spent her life trying to increase awareness about the importance of preserving the Big Thicket. In fact, many people refer to her as the 'mother of the Big Thicket Association,' an organization that was a major driving force in the creation of the Big Thicket National Preserve. She has even written books on the Big Thicket, and is mentioned by many authors on the same subject.

Her twelve-acre site has an astounding array of microhabitats, from bogs full of CPs, orchids and many other rare jewels of East Texas Bogs, to rising areas of ferns and Jack-in-the-pulpits, to uplands with beech trees and native azaleas. It has been her passion - and obsession - to create as close a floral representation of what she remembers the Big
Thicket was like as a child.

This preserve is privately owned (no government or non-profit funding), and is open to the public seven days a week, 24 hours a day (no fences). She has little to no funds to maintain the place, and the boardwalk across the bog is in a sad state of disrepair. Therefore, I am requesting that you consider making a donation to help rebuild the boardwalk and maintain this awesome display of native plants of the Big Thicket. Since the preserve is privately owned, your donations are NOT tax deductible. But you will have the knowledge that you have done a great deed in the fight to preserve a CP habitat.

You can make checks payable to Geraldine Watson, and mail them to my address (available by PM).  Once I have collected all the checks, I will send them on to Geraldine.

Again, I am asking a minimum $10 donation for a single mature rhizome, or for two smaller ones.  I will try to honor requests for single large, or two small.

For anybody who has PMed me with requests for plants, I am waiting for your check, payable to Geraldine Watson, before I send plants.

Plants are first come, first served, as far as receiving checks goes.  It does not matter if you're the first to PM me, but the first to get a check to me.

I still have about a dozen plants.

PM me for the address to send the check.

Back