What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia rubra jonesii

i've been looking around for a place to buy it and all the sales are limited to oregon (some sort of rule?). i'm really interested in one. Anyone here have one they'd be willing to trade?

thanks

So Tony, is it legal to trade cp's for an endangered plant like oreophila within your state?

makes perfect sense. Now i just have to find someone to give me one as a gift :p

If the plant does not cross state borders the ESA (Endangered Species Act) does not apply.

I guess there is the off chance that an individual state may have restrictions. I don't deal with endangered Sarracenia so I have never looked into it completely.

A.E. what state do you live in? (That might help someone).

The ICPS seedbank has them in stock now.

Tweek

You have to donate a min. $5 for endangered seed from the seed bank. Just FYI

That has changed now.

"The donations are not required." - ICPS website

Tweek

Hmm but I beleve it still is suggested. Especially if you email your order.

actually im taken care of with regards to the plants. thanks everyone.

Just to mention, I highly doubt sending an endangered sarracenia in a box through regular mail will get you arrested. I mean, nobody's going to check, and if they do, they probably wont really identify it as one of the endangered sarracenia.  It just seems highly unlikely to have any negative reprocussions (spelling?), but I'm certainly not sugdesting that someone do that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tweek @ June 09 2005,2:53)]That has changed now.

"The donations are not required."  - ICPS website

Tweek
They were never "required", but suggested.

And I know they are HIGHLY appreciated.

It takes more work to do the documentation for CITES-protected species. So please, make the minimum recommended donation. They do good work.

Just so some people are aware, I would appreciate this plant as well, none of my seeds germinated, and the original poster has already said he is satisfied

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ June 09 2005,8:20)]Just to mention, I highly doubt sending an endangered sarracenia in a box through regular mail will get you arrested. I mean, nobody's going to check, and if they do, they probably wont really identify it as one of the endangered sarracenia.  It just seems highly unlikely to have any negative reprocussions (spelling?), but I'm certainly not sugdesting that someone do that.
Provided you follow the rules.

Basically (and somebody more knowledgeable, please correct me if I'm wrong):

* You cannot transport CITES Appendix I (Hereafter referred to as CITES-I) protected plants across national borders without proper documentation. If in doubt, don't do it.

* You cannot offer CITES-I for trade, either for barter or cash remuneration. This includes asking for payment of postage.

* If you offer CITES-I species as a gift (the only legal way most of us are concerned about), you should make sure you have all proper documentation, and send the recipient a photocopy of it.

I would suggest, in the strongest way, that you not try to skirt these laws. It would be a real shame to lose this forum due to such activity, and to subject our hobby to ADDITIONAL regulation and/or scrutiny.

If you're not sure if what you want to do is legal, don't do it; ask somebody here, and make sure the person answering actually has the credentials to know what the heck they're talking about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ June 11 2005,11:04)]Just so some people are aware, I would appreciate this plant as well, none of my seeds germinated, and the original poster has already said he is satisfied
I just checked the ICPS seedbank webpage; they list, as of 11 June 2005, 100 available packets of S. rubra ssp. jonesii seeds.

If you're not already an ICPS member, you should become one; the ICPS quarterly newsletter alone is well worth the $25 membership fee, and you gain access to their seed bank. The seeds are very cheap -- $1 per packet, and $3 S&H per order. They also ask for an additional donation of (IIRC) $5 per packet of CITES-I seeds.

The ICPS seedbank is how I obtained my S. oreophila and S. rubra ssp. alabamensis seeds.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ June 11 2005,10:57)]
[b said:

"The donations are not required." - ICPS website

Tweek

It takes more work to do the documentation for CITES-protected species. So please, make the minimum recommended donation. They do good work.
I routinely monitored the ICPS site for the last year. At one time, donations for endangered species were required. That was for a short period of time.

I do not know how often you monitored the ICPS site.

I think I have an old seedbank order form stating as such.

Tweek

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tweek @ June 13 2005,8:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ June 11 2005,10:57)]
[b said:

"The donations are not required."  - ICPS website

Tweek

It takes more work to do the documentation for CITES-protected species.  So please, make the minimum recommended donation.  They do good work.
I routinely monitored the ICPS site for the last year. At one time, donations for endangered species were required. That was for a short period of time.

I do not know how often you monitored the ICPS site.

I think I have an old seedbank order form stating as such.

Tweek
OK, I take your word for it. I didn't monitor it that rigorously.

smile.gif

Back