What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have drosera seeds?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I have an aquatic Ultric stygia for trade if anyone would like it.I am looking for any cool looking and easy to grow Drosera seeds.Please PM me or reply here if you are interested and have some Drosera seeds.Thanks
smile.gif
*Niki*(Trapper7)

Are you trading a utric plant or seed?

Hmmm, well I can't trade for it. But my D. Spathulata "fraser island' is starting to bloom and if I have any seed left over I'll be willing to send it to you for free if you want. It's been a pretty easy seed to germinate for me. If so, just send me a PM with your address and I'll PM you as soon as I get the seed to let you know its on its way

Thanks Divaskid
smile.gif
Anybody else interested?Thanks. *Niki*
laugh.gif

What drosera are you looking for?  I have some D. brevifolia seed that is fresh.  Its not very common.  And I have other drosera seed as well.  I don't know what you have already.  Let me know.  How much drosera seed do you want for the utric?

BTW...it might help if you posted a growlist in the Growlist forum. I checked to see if I could find out what you already have but I didn't see one.

Thanks.
smile.gif

ill look tonite to see what ive got spikes of. to bad i you didnt post the begining of last week i cut off and threw away about 18 flower stalks from about 6 different species so i wouldnt have to deal with vollenteer seedlings at this time.

isn't that plant endangered?

i thought you couldn't trade for it?

if i'm wrong, i have D. spatulata seed or i can send you cutting of D. adelae, marstons dragon,intermedia, schizandra, or madagascariensis through the mail.

I don't know if it's endangered actually.I got one from someone in the states,and then I got this one from a friend,so I'm really not sure
confused.gif
Anybody know for sure?Thanks.~Niki~

Most North American species of Utricularia are either threatened or endangered. You can go to this site and plug in the species you want to learn about and when you scroll down, the plant's status will appear but here's a basic link to see some of the Utrics represented-
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin....l=UTRIC

The U. stygia is in fact endangered, scroll down and view list,
http://www.answers.com/topic/utricularia-1

Niki, aren't you in Canada anyway?

To the best of my knowledge, you aren't supposed to be sending seed or plant material without the proper documentation-
Us customs 877.287.8667
www.cbp.gov

CITES
Bud 301.734.7839
Mark 301.734.8891

animal and plant health inspection service
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/about/welcome.html
For more information on APHIS’ role in minimizing the impact of invasive species, please visit the APHIS Web site at www.aphis.usda.gov or contact:
Richard L. Orr, APHIS Invasive Species Coordinator
USDA, APHIS
4700 River Road, Unit 117
Riverdale, MD 20737–1240
Telephone: (301) 734–8939 he is no longer at this #301.734.5136
FAX: (301) 734–5899
E-mail: richard.l.orr@aphis.usda.gov
www.ANSTaskForce.gov

These people are pretty darn helpful any time I have a question and/or concern. And, they really pick up their phones. Best to clarify with those who have forgotten more than I have ever known.

Thanks for the info Laura
smile.gif
I'm not allowed to send SEEDS either without a special certificate?? I thought I just couldn't send plants.I've been sending seeds with no problems,but I thought I could do it without the certificate.Oops
biggrin.gif
~Niki~

Oops myself,

Clarification here, To the best of my knowledge, you aren't supposed to be sending seed or plant or germplasm without the proper documentation... to the United States. I don't have any idea how sending seed or plants or germplasm from Canada to another location in Canada works.

I should probably add that this would include not only seed and plants but vines, cuttings, slips, draws, roots, and any other vegetatively propagated part of a plant.

There have been quite a few threads regarding this lately and here is one that addresses the issues much better-
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....17;st=0

And here's another that sort of touched on the issues-
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=19089

Don't worry Niki. If you recall, I sent you a bunch of seed in a bubble mailer marked "seeds" with additional writing on your envelope that said "hand cancel please" before my wings got clipped by a friend of mine who works for a government agency that deals with some of the cross over issues and her comment to me was, "You sent seeds where?" She followed that up with two little words, "No kidding". Evidently they are gearing up to start cracking down. To be quite blunt with you, I think of the US and Canada as being North America and not so much two separate countries. I have also sent seed to somebody else in Canada and I received seed from him too. Plants don't generally respect boundaries so I never truly paid much attention to the imaginary line that divides your country from mine that we call a border. To me it was about the equivalent of the imaginary line that divides Illinois from Wisconsin.

Laura, I am NOT allowed to send seeds to Canada? I was told that was just for the plants. Oy vey!

Oddly enough, I CAN ship to Hawaii (as long as I don't use "soil" - whatever that means), a totally different ecology, across thousands of miles of ocean - but can't put a few seed pods worth of seeds to an adjoining land mass.

*major cognitive dissonance*  
confused.gif

Wait, I have an idea: I ship to Alaska and Niki rents a dogsled team and crosses the border long enough to pick up an envelope and slaloms back to British Columbia.    
smile_m_32.gif

I don't even want to talk about Hawaii. We were there for a few weeks this past February... remember? What Homeland Security and the USDA did to the orchids I bought in Hawaii as we went island to island was unconscionable.

Regarding restrictions our government has imposed on importation from other countries, I truly can see it. Jim, you of all people should be able to acknowledge the damage that "present but undetected" can do. We Americans have spent somewhere in the 160 BILLION dollar range controlling managing and eradicating introduced species. Um, that dollar amount was from just last year.  Think Water Hyacinth Jim.  Think Salt Cedar. Seemingly benign plants that have "escaped" and continue to "escape" cultivation.  What's the next Kudzu going to be?  Look what the Cane Toad has done to us. Look at what the emerald ash borer is going to do to us over the next few years... look at the damage it has already done to us. I can think of a lot better things I'd like to see us doing with that money had the presence of these species not been such a threat to public health.  

I have been dealing with exotic invasive species for a while now.  The general public at large has little or no knowledge the havoc they wreak in our environment. I see it first hand every single day of my life. It sickens me. And you know something, plants really do not know boundaries so I am glad both Americans and Canadians are beginning to take more aggressive stances against importation because we really are all North American Soil and the next pathogen found to wipe out corn crops may just come from a potted plant sent to someone in Canada from China that is cultivateed and escapes.  Will the border patrol be able to stop the invasion process?

This was exactly why I posted this-
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=18935

*takes deep breath* I fully understand the potential ecological impact of introducing species in ecosystems new to them and others. I read the link and the link beyond it. I concur with the concept of legisaltion to prevent ecological disaster. I am just frustrated that I cannot, in good conscience send or accept seeds, etc... and there is no way I am able to follow through with the monetary responsibility associated with CITES. And now for my favourite meal - crow!
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To me it was about the equivalent of the imaginary line that divides Illinois from Wisconsin.

Thats not an imaginary line. It's a toll booth. ;)

Close but no bananas!  We simple folk from Illinois wait to stiff you with our tollbooths a few miles AFTER you cross the boarder!  Please note that we have conveniently provided you with no means by which to exit the TriState after crossing the border UNTIL you have paid your fair share.  Funny, did you ever notice that Wisconsin always has superior roads to Illinois and you all have no toll booths? I wonder what we really do with all that money given how many roads around here are in need of replacement or repair. And snow removal... you blow us out of the water in that department too.  I always love a good mystery. Sure do wonder what we are doing with all that toll money we collect.

Oh my gosh! Why Jim, you stole my dinner out of the frig, "And now for my favourite meal - crow!"

LMAO @ Jim about the Alaska bit,too funny
smile_n_32.gif
Ok so if I send seeds in one of those bubble envelopes and DON'T write SEEDS on the front or where ever,do they still check it?I'm sure tons of people send out one of those bubble envelopes with gifts inside,so do they check all of them?And what if it's just a regular letter envelope and I put seeds in there and it just looks like a letter,do they check that?~Niki~
laugh.gif

Oh dear Niki, I still wouldn't play with trading outside of your country. I won't send even seeds ever again, too risky and I don't want any fines.

I'm sure both the US as well as Canadian authorities don't have the resources to check all of the envelopes regardless of whether they are marked as containing seeds or not but is it worth being that 1% of 1% (I don't know what the actual percentage of envelopes that are checked is) that they do check when it comes to envelopes?

I always send seeds in bubble mailers because they don't fit through the automated machines and have to be hand canceled. This reduces the risk of seed getting smashed. A bubble mailer is under $1 so the extra insurance is nice.

We also shouldn't be "trying to get away with it".

Laura: As a married guy, I can positively speak for every other out there... we all eat lots of crow and have our own respective doghouses, with our repective names on them.

Back