What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for: cps hardy to zone 5 for new bog

Lupine, did you say Lupine seeds!  I have an area that I was just mentioning to April would be perfect for lupine. What color do you have? Doesn't matter. Let's do business.

Send me your full name and a mailing address with a zip code. I have seen your grow list and I know exactly what I want to send you and it will be hardy outside in zone 5. You will have to wait though. I pack pretty well but it is way too hot to ship anything right now. I'm going to go for mid September. Is that ok with you? Do you need pots for the plants?

Now here comes what you need to do... remind me around September 1st by sending me an e-mail and a PM. I am a Mom and we Moms are sometimes sort of easily distracted. Add to this that April and I are going on a little trip over Labor day weekend and I do need a little help as when we get back, my kids will need to get back to school.  I am going to go out and stick a stake in your plant so that there is no way I will accidentally let anyone else have it.  I already have 2 stakes with names out there so this is not a big deal and it helps me make sure I don't make any mistakes.

No I'm not trying to take Jons topic. *lol* I am sorry. Pineapples are a good fruit and I don't know what started it but I got a pineapple obsession along with other tropical things. It was cute.

And what kind of cuttings do you have Jon? J/w

i have cuttings of bacopa, a bog/pond plant that roots very easy.

So Tony the T is a zone 5er too!  Yay, another one!

Say tink, I was teasing.  Threads get hijacked all the time and you weren't even hijacking.

Hi Jon, waterhyssop is a very nice plant. Which one do you have?

By gosh by golly I do declare we've got more than enough to start our own Z5CP support group.

Thank you to Jon for bringing everyone out of the closet!

Hello fellow z5ers-

Yesterday afternoon I heard that Illinois has declared portions of the state an agricultural emergency. Some farmers have lost 40% of their crops, some more than 70%. Appears Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Arkansas, parts of Ohio and Texas, Idaho, Wyoming, parts of Montana, Oregon, and Washington are in severe droughts. Illinois looks as if it is by far in the worst shape as major portions are extreme drought and several areas are labeled exceptional drought. I know that I can walk across the Des Plaines River right now and wouldn’t even get wet up to my calves.

Last night I stayed up to about 3am watering and moving CPs into the shade and out of full sun. My pots are light colored and they were on concrete but weather forecasts are calling for a week of 90+ weather and with the last few weeks in the upper 80’s and well into the upper 90’s and still no rain, I think anyone in central or northern Illinois who is growing plants outside in pots might want to get out there and move their CPs onto the grass or up off the ground by at least a foot and into the shade. I seriously don’t think our CPs can handle what is coming.  I put a folding card table over the top of seedling trays, moved plants into the shade of the screened in porch, moved more onto the grass under the Hawthorn tree, and have put another bunch of plants under the umbrella of the patio table. I am placing patio chairs over the small 30 gallon bogs. I’ve got make shift tents over the large pots that I can’t move and I am trying to figure something out for my kiddie pool bog and am sort of thankful that I never did finish that big momma bog as I have no idea how I would have shielded that save renting a tent from some service.

I tried an experiment that last few days. I have an ultrasonic fogger. I began fogging my CPs a few times a day to try to cool them down. It didn’t work or at least I noticed no difference as some of my oreo lids are still turning brown and crispy. Maybe if I had been able to get out there every half hour to do it, it might have worked to cool them down but that would be sort of labor intensive and I’m not home to do it anyway.

Gosh guys, if any of you are in drought areas and have pots on the ground, you may want to take a look at your local weather report and act accordingly. I talked to some friends of mine who are container growers and they said definitely consider getting anything off asphalt and away from any structure that radiates heat.

I hope if there are any veteran growers out there who are reading this thread that they share any other ideas they may have. I am at a loss. I have not seen anything so bad since the mid 1980's and I wasn't growing anything in containers back then.

Editing to add-
I am so glad I did all those things above and lost sleep. This afternoon shortly after 2pm, the heavens opened up and dropped at least a half an inch on us probably even more like 3/4 of an inch. The temps dropped to 75 in a matter of about 5 minutes. Sheesh, it could have all waited and I had to run home to pull everything out from under trees and chairs and umbrellas so that my pots could get flushed. Special, very special. I do realize we are still in trouble but what poor timing for me.

ive got pennywort becopa. man, theres lots of zone 5's out there, manybe we should start our own zone 5 club??

ive got pennywort becopa. man, theres lots of zone 5's out there, manybe we should start our own zone 5 club??

Back