What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for: cps hardy to zone 5 for new bog

i dont have many cp stuff to offer but i do have other plant stuff (seeds, cuttings, etc..) or we can work something pout, plz let me know. thanks

I'm in zone5 also. What state?

I'm in zone 5, Illinois up by the WI border darn near into z4. z5guy is in MA. What state are you in Tink? My spare plants are all spoken for however I know some nice online sources if that would interest any other zone 5 folk.

I'm Z5 in southern NY - almost Z6 technically, but the last few winters have vociferously denied any proximity.

If you're willing to do a little work around turkey day (i.e. mulch your bog), you can grow pretty much any sars, vfts & temperate N. American dews you want....most likely utrics, too, but I haven't tried those outside overwinter.

Since this has turned into zone five confessions, I'm in Zone Five as well. I should have some D. intermedia seeds at the end of the season.

yup, well as someone already said, im in zone 5/6 in massachusetts. i dont really have any money to buy plants with so thats why i was seeing if anybody wanted to trade. again, if anybody is into other garden plants i have seed, and cuttings to tarde cp stuff with.

I'm in Ohio Laura.
smile.gif

I wish I could help ya out, I don't have any spares though, I just started myself.

And yet another zone 5er crawls out of the closet.

I'm in zone 5 in the midst of a large zone 6 area!

Have been asking questions myself in the pitcher plant discussion area.

Zone 5 Gardeners Unite!

I am in zone 5B and am beginning to realize that we can grow more than Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea and a handfull of Drosera spp., as long as we are willing to do some serious mulching before winter.

Jon, it's good to see you on these boards!

i am jon! and im looking for cold hardy cps, to put in my bog!

Ahhh, you are Jon.  Sorry, I didn't know your first name. What kind of a bog do you have?

You, have the misfortune of looking for plants at the wrong time of year.  Most people divided their plants back in spring and mailed them out before the onset of summer.  Allegedly, spring is the best time for the plant to make a division to share with somebody else. The other issue is that there was an enormous auction to benefit the North American Sarracenia Conservancy back in May and members scrambled to donate plants from the personal stock for the auction and people were quite generous in coming forth with plants to put up on the auction block. Add a few educational institutions looking for plants in the recent past and that doesn’t leave one with many options other than purchasing potted or bareroot CPs from nurseries. You may have to wait until fall when there will be another wave of plant divisions as the temps begin to cool down and it is safer to ship plants again. Most people try to avoid shipping plants at this time of year if at all possible as they could toast their little brains out sitting in a box for 3 or more days.

Just a few options for you to consider that you may not be aware of-
This is a link to where people post their grow lists. Many people post which CPs they have but some also list orchids as well as other non CPs. That's one of the first places people check to see who has what. You might want to consider posting your grow list there even if you only have one VFT or a few Drosera. There are quite a few people who just started growing who have only a handful of plants and everyone does need to start somewhere. Seriously, don’t be shy posting what you currently have as that gives people an idea of what you might be looking for as well as an idea of what not to add as an “extra” to avoid duplications. I know that I always go and look at a person’s grow list when adding something extra to see if they already have it.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....SF;f=32

You might want to get a grow list up at the above link and then start a new thread here at the trading post forum asking specifically for a few plants and list the non cp “other plant stuff (seeds, cuttings, etc..)” that you have to offer in trade as well as what you meant by “or we can work something pout, plz let me know”. People may be confused as they might not know what you mean by that given you commented, “i dont really have any money to buy plants with”.  

Also too, please consider trying to religiously check in at the trading post here to see who is offering what. This is the time of year for seeds to start appearing and you will find that many people give them away for the cost of a bubble mailer and/or postage for nothing in exchange. You will also see plants offered for nothing but the cost of postage from time to time and a few people send plants out without even asking for postage or anything in exchange so you truly don’t need to have any money as you will find the members here are incredibly generous but more so in spring. It all depends but if you aren’t logging on and checking on a regular basis, you are going to miss some great plants. Over the past year, I have received some really awesome plants for the cost of postage. Just a thought. If it is of any consolation, I will be looking to see if I have anything for you this coming spring and Glenn already offered you some seed this coming fall.

One last plug for posting your grow list even if you have nothing but one plant. My son posted his grow list and I think he had one VFT that he had bought at the grocery store at the time. He received a PM from a member who never posted in the thread and my son was sent several healthy and robust VFTs that he still has growing from that member.  When my son posted that he needed help for a Scout project, Glenn and wolf9striker sent him cuttings of Neps for postage only and they were very nice cuttings. Others offered to send him cuttings but I sort of nixed that as I wanted my son (considerably younger than you) to focus on caring for the plants he had been sent. I swear it is the time of year for you Jon. The dead of summer is always the worst. Hang in there and be patient and please start a new thread and list what non CP plants you have as I have a particular fondness for native species and we are both east of the rockies.

ill see if i can get the time, it will be soon, very soon, so be patient with me! ahhh native species i love native species too!

Eastern North American Naaaaaative plaaaaaants... Rubbing hands together as drool spills from corner of mouth while eyes begin glazing over.

i have put a growlist up, but i found that they dident let me list very much...
smile_h_32.gif

I never put my growlist, I only have 3. Then some people have 200000 and just give away plants and seeds and how in the world do you guys get so much! haha. I guess everyone has to start somewhere. I'm very jealous. ::makes growlist::

Oh my nice starts for both of you!  

So Jon... what kind of seed do you have? Inquiring minds need to know!  I am relatively sure you and me can work something out. I like germinating seed almost as much as I like eating. I have a thing for seed and a thang for food. Gimme your list of seed!

And Tink... are you hijacking poor Jon's thread?  I thought me and all the other zone 5ers had already done a pretty good job of that ourselves. I've been meaning to ask you... what's with the pineapple avatar? Your favorite fruit or was that a subtle hint that you wanted Ananas comosus seed?

ummm, well, dont have too much, but i do have coloumbine seeds and lupine seeds.

Back