What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proboscidea louisianica seed

I've scarified and soaked (24 h in 500ppm GA3) P.louisianica seed and am ready to sow them in 1:2 peat:perlite mix on a heat mat.

Should the seed be placed on the surface of the medium or buried (and if so, at what depth)?

Thanks.

Well, I've pushed the seeds lightly into the mix. If anyone knows whether this is very incorrect, please let me know. Thanks.

I covered mine and they sprouted just dandy. Good luck with yours!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I covered mine and they sprouted just dandy. Good luck with yours!

Thanks for the info and well-wishes.
smile.gif

How deeply were they covered?

Also, how else did you treat them (e.g., scarification, etc.) and how long did it take them to germinate? I have some seeds left over & trying to get more info for future sowing.

I don't think you need to worry too much unless you've absolutely burried them, when mine sprouted they would have been fine if they were even deeper. They've got a pretty beefy stem and cotyledons (well, it's not particular fragile or anything) so you should be fine with pushing them in to the media a bit then covering the hole a little, it shouldn't really matter.

It was a while back, so I'm not sure about germination speeds, but I think in the ballpark of 2 weeks (though I could be off!) Some took longer than others. Be sure to give them plenty of room to fillout, otherwise they may have clumped/uneven root systems which may make them prone to tipping over (which doesn't look nice at all, because then you've got a smelly, sticky plant that picks of all of the dirt, lol.)
All I did was (a pretty rough) Gibberillic acid treatment.

Additionally, mine seemed to like it pretty warm and moist (as you may well imagine, but just to give you an idea of my conditions.)

Thanks. Seems like my treatment is fairly similar to yours so I'll be on the lookout for seedlings. And I've made a good amount of space to house the mature plants, should they reach that stage. Thanks again.
smile.gif

Back