What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triggerplants

Hi:

Has anyone read the book on Triggerplants or grown any? You can learn more about them here: http://www.actahort.org/books/624/624_12.htm

I've just finished reading the book and find this plant very intriguing. May try a couple of packages of annual growers this spring.

Would love to hear from anyone growing them. Have you seen them capture insects?

I've seen a number of species growing in the wild and have grown a range of species in the past. As far as I am aware, the only species which are known to trap (whether or not they actually digest insects is highly debatable) originate from tropical north western Australia which is generally quite difficult to access. The triggered flowers do not trap the insects, the inflorescences have glands similar to those of Drosera or Byblis.

Don't they just swat a bug onto their flower, making them fertilize it?

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Sep. 01 2006,7:17)]Don't they just swat a bug onto their flower, making them fertilize it?

-Ben
I guess that's a generalised way to look at it.

The flowers themselves are not the part of the plants that some believe may be carnivorous. The fact that the flowerparts move is merely an added bonus. The flowerscapes and stems of some tropical species can be extremely glandular and some have the ability to catch large amounts of insects. Whether or not they actually digest insects requires some intensive research. I have photos of some of these tropical species but would need to seek permission from the photographer before I could post them.

I'm in the process of germinating some seed at the moment. They are small buggers. A soak in Gib. acid first and then in my seed flat.

Chris, from where are you obtaining GA3?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseraguy @ Sep. 01 2006,4:52)]I'm in the process of germinating some seed at the moment. They are small buggers. A soak in Gib. acid first and then in my seed flat.
Which species? That just reminded me that I have a heap of seed that I collected last year in the fridge that I had completely forgotten about. Might have to sow them over the weekend.

I knew someone was gonna ask that
smile_h_32.gif
I'll have to check later when I get home.

OK you'll have to excuse the spelling of these but here goes:

candelabrum
turbinatum
schizanatum

Sound right ??

Back