What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proboscidea Germination

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Hello, good ol' Phissionkorps decided to give away some Proboscidea seeds! However, they are like Ibicella, so should scarification or bleaching be used? Can somebody help? Anyone got any instructions on media or anything too?

Thanks!

what I do is I soak them for about 2 days and then remove up to 1/2 of the tough outer seed coat, and then I place it in a damp paper towel. After 2 to 30 days you should see some of the seeds germinating. As soon as you see the first root remove it from the paper towel and place it where it will grow for the rest of it's days.

Soak them in bleach or just water? And how do you remove the seed coat? How big does the pot need to be?

Thanks!

soak them in water, and after the 2 day soaking you should easily be able to gently remove the outer seed coat. The pot should be big!!!! like as big as you can find big, or you could do what i"m gonna do and plant it in a small pot (or plastic cup, like me) and after about a week or so plant it in the ground in it's final destination.

In the ground? Outside? It gets -30F in the winter here, it'd die.

Whats big? 1 foot? 2 feet?

its an annual plant. it gets like 3ft across(it CAN anyways) . ill be growing mine outside during spring, summer, and part of autumn. hopefully it will be big enough to flower.
Alex

Ah, so they grow quickly?

Thats good. The bees will do the pollinating I hope!

Back