What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Carnivore? Correct me if I'm horribly mistaken...

I'm sick and tired of all of this Iowa bashing.

Just kidding. Iowa sucks.

As far as the bromeliads... I dunno. You know these plants just don't LOOK like the cp's we are used to. I think that's a big part of it. Is B. liniflora carnivorous? No. But... why not? Is it the ancestor or has it evolved to not have carnivory anymore? I read somewhere about a symbiotic fungus... maybe in the Savage Garden. That works for me.

I still have a mentality of "Why do something yourself if others will do it for you?" And thus to me, these quasi-carnivores are really just LAZY carnivores. You know, the kind who sleep in on weekends and eat too many chips playing xbox. Maybe that's why they are so greasy? It must be the late nights and palm kernal oil.

Wow. This post really caught on! Thanks for the responses

It's kind of a neat looking plant isn't it? I wonder if someone's studying it right now...

Wow B. liniflora isn't carnivorous? How the hell did that one get by me? I've only been obsessed with the darn things for like 2 years. x_x

... I'm getting my money back for the guy who sent me that B. liniflora. I don't want non-carnivorous plants!

... I'm getting my money back for the guy who sent me that B. liniflora. I don't want non-carnivorous plants!

Lol! Don't we all...

Except orchids of course :p

Whatever happened to that orchid that had sticky glands on the petioles?

I heard about an orchid like that too, but I just dismissed the idea.

It's never good to dismiss anything so quickly.

I think it's called Aracamunia liesneri. It's not a proven carnivore.

b liniflora not carnivorous what what?
I think I'm missing something. Are the other byblis or just not that one? I had a liniflora that used to catch things all the time (or maybe it was a filifolia?)

Blashpemy!

*hugs B. liniflora seedlings"

*gets stuck*..... so it's really not carnivorous, right? o.o;

o_o... *pokes Chrono with a stick as he's stuck*

*dumps gasoline into B. liniflora seedling siol*

*dumps gasoline into B. liniflora seedling siol*

*responds to a guy who responded to a four month dead topic*

Lol. FantasyIsEndless has died by now. 4 Months on the liniflora seedlings... yup... hes dead...

Well i think thank any plant that catches and kills an insect, utilizes a method to break down the insect, and benefits from what is created as the insect is digested is carnivorous. I mean, obviously some plants are evolving towards carnivory and i think byblis liniflora is a good example. B. linifolia catches it employs a method of break down and absorbs. The method of break down is to wait till other microorganisms break it down first. Perhaps if we do not destroy our planet first, it will get the chance to learn to produce enzymes. Either way, it uses a method of digestion, it waits for it to rot. Also, this is strange because i've blood worms digested very quickly on my byblis, at times faster than on my other plants. There must be something overlooked.

Well, to be fair if you laid wet blood worms on anything they'd probably rot pretty fast, too :)

Going with your definition of carnivory, a potato plant, the petunia, and catalpa trees would be carnivorous since their leaves are sticky, traps small insects, and benefits from the rotting bodies as they decompose.

Indeed. Potato plants use their system of stickyness merely as a defensive mechanism. You can blatantly tell that plants like Byblis, Roridula, Triphyophyllum, Drosophyllum, Drosera and Pinguicula do it for the purpose of catching, killing, and digesting insects for supplement.

If it's so blatant why did it take naturalists nearly 300 years to figure out Drosera were carnivorous? It wasn't until Charles Darwin performed his studies on Drosera rotundifolia (the same species you dissed before in an earlier thread) that Drosera and other genera were proven to be carnivorous. Since Darwin published "Insectivorous Plants" in 1875 the world has embraced the concept of carnivorous plants.

The full text (with illustrations) is available on-line here

Or as an ebook here or here

Read it from the context that this is a totally new concept as it was when "Insectivorous Plants" was first published. Maybe after that you'll revise your opinion of seeing "nothing special" about Drosera rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin'.

Back