What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Update!!!

yeah, so as many of you might know, I have had a couple of P. louisianica seeds germinate and grow into plants, and now they are even starting to bloom, as well as catch hundreds of bugs.

here's a pic of my two plants.

DSC00758.jpg

here's a pic of a newly opened flower

DSC00768.jpg

dave. how did you get your seed to germinate? mine just dont want to do that...
Alex

Why are devil's claws consided quasi carnivores?

so you just peeled the whole seed coat off? so just the white embryo remained? man...i need new seeds...
Alex

Gorgeous flowers. Nice job, Dave.

xvart.

Good growing, Dave!

I just soaked mine overnight and sowed. I have 5 seedlings out of 10 seeds!

Your plants look great, Dave!

Thanks!!!!

Glider: I just peeled off 1/2 of the thick seed coat, soaked them in water for a day and kept them in a damp paper towel outside until they germinated.

Ant: I believe that they are considered to be quasi carnivorous because they trap and kill insects, but haven't yet been proven to produce enzymes.

Is it possible that they could have a symbiotic relationship with a type of insect or fungus or something?

I had two seeds soaking in water for so long that the entire seed coats just peeled off. It was awesome. Not sure if they're gonna want to grow for me though. I buried one in the lawn.

So wait.. Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea louisianca are both considered devil's claw? That's kinda of weird considering they are a different genus altogether.

Yeah, it is weird, but they are strikingly similar.

Hundreds of bugs eh? Well, even though the plant has no digestive enzymes bacteria can digest those bugs and the plant can absorb them through the leaves! That's kind of why Ibicella and Proboscidea is NOT fully carnivorous, they have no digestive enzymes, or little in the cases Darlingtonia, S. purpurea, and B. liniflora. But, unlike the three mentioned, they do not have the obvious structure of Sarracenia or Drosera. There are a few other keys I feel not mentioning...

Nice pictures! I like the flowers on Ibicella!

wait are these things carnivorous? How? They're just a bunch of branches

They're not yet proven carnivorous, but they do catch bugs with their sticky leaves. There is no current evidence that they digest the insects (as far as I know).

Thought I'd just share a pic of the different types of devil's claws.

The Lower claws are Ibicella Lutea, and those are their seeds in the upper right. The tiny pods with almost no claw (look kinda like a snake's skull) are Martynia Annua claws
ilute02.jpg

This is the claw of Proboscidea. Notice they are skinnier and lack the spines all over the pod that are on Ibicella Claws.
Proboscidea%20louisianica%20Louisiana-Gaemshorn%203.jpg

While it is true Devil's Claw produces no enzymes to digest the insects, I am curious as to whether or not bacterial action may assist. With the germination of my seedlings, I'd like to try an experiment with half of the plants being in a bug free environment, while the others are allowed to feast to see if there are any differences in rate of growth, number of flowers, size of claws, amount of seed, etc.

Thought I'd just share a pic of the different types of devil's claws.

The Lower claws are Ibicella Lutea, and those are their seeds in the upper right. The tiny pods with almost no claw (look kinda like a snake's skull) are Martynia Annua claws
ilute02.jpg

This is the claw of Proboscidea. Notice they are skinnier and lack the spines all over the pod that are on Ibicella Claws.
Proboscidea%20louisianica%20Louisiana-Gaemshorn%203.jpg

While it is true Devil's Claw produces no enzymes to digest the insects, I am curious as to whether or not bacterial action may assist. With the germination of my seedlings, I'd like to try an experiment with half of the plants being in a bug free environment, while the others are allowed to feast to see if there are any differences in rate of growth, number of flowers, size of claws, amount of seed, etc.

with half of the plants being in a bug free environment
Good luck with that...when you figure out how to make that happen let me know haha.

But seriously, I think you're going to have bugs no matter what, even if grown inside. Of course not nearly as many though (unless you live in the dorms :D)

Neat claws. No wonder they are called "devil's claws." Pretty fierce if you ask me.

But seriously, I think you're going to have bugs no matter what, even if grown inside. Of course not nearly as many though (unless you live in the dorms :D)

Speaking of, my apartment is in a dorm and I tell you what, the bugs are coming out in full force now!

xvart.

Pretty fierce if you ask me.

Remember when I gave all that seed away a couple months ago?
"Shelling" about 40 of these things in a row makes your hands bleed. It is an experience I will unfortunately never forget.

Those are so fantastic! Thanks for the pics! I want some of the big pods just to keep, and look at. Ah I'm such a nerd. :blush: If someone doesn't want to shell theirs and make their hands bleed like phission, let me know. Hehe!

To keep bugs out, I was thinking about using some sort of mosquito net.

Back