What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of getting a carnivorous bromeliad (Brocchinia reducta). Is it difficult?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm thinking of getting a carnivorous bromeliad (Brocchinia reducta). Is it a difficult plant? What are the basics for it?

Also, can I grow this on my windowsill?

Go for it. I use 2:1 perlite/peat, lotsa light, on the windowsill. Doesn't grow very fast for me though...

It isn't difficult. ;)

I have been growing this plant for about a 3 months. I have had no problems with it. I agree with Jefforever on the growth rate though. Quite slow.

I fertilize it with a foliar feed every two weeks. It also catches small gnats. Get it get it!!

I ordered one! :D

It's going to be one inch tall when I get it.

If you do get one make sure to let the soil dry out between waterings, they are very prone to rot. If you are going to grow it on a windowsill make sure it gets a lot of light!

Or if you could grow it outside that may be even better, Ive heard from Brian Barnes and Steve Stewart that it grows great outside in Florida.

Or if you could grow it outside that may be even better, Ive heard from Brian Barnes and Steve Stewart that it grows great outside in Florida.

Yeah, those guys are gods when it comes to growing cps outdoors...

I didn't know Brocchina could rot... Mine don't seem to care. Probly a good thing to watch out for though.

Congrats on your purchase, Ahmad.

pure orchid bark, with some inorganic stuff thrown in has worked for me. that way the rot issue Max mentioned is gone.

Like the others said lots of light. No such thing as too much, although then heat becomes an issue...fertilzer hasnt done much for mine. Good luck! :)

How cold tolerant is it? It briefly hit below 40 degrees last night, and I'm worried about putting it outside.

Back