What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roridula seeds

hey i finally got my roridula dentata and grgonias seeds today. anybody with experiance want to give me an tips. in know the basics like keep in light and moist(until germination) hot days and cool nights lots of air circulation.
advice appreciated
adam

Set 'em on fire!

That's what I've heard also. Place some dry grass on the surface of the pot and light it on fire. Germination in the wild is triggered by grass fires. I also read that to get uniform germination, they should be planted in January or February and left out side for three nights. They are supposed to be able to withstand temps down to -25C. With out the cold stratification, germination occurs over a much wider interval of time. I have some gorgonias seed but haven't tried it yet, so I can not confirm the above tips, but that is what I'm going to try with mine.

That's a great article. Sounds like it may do well enough outside, in a miniibog for 2/3 of the year and brought to a cold, sunny garage or attic for the winter.

I haven't done anything to my roridula gorgonias seed and I have had three germinate so far and two have died. Here is what I do:

I germinate each seed in a separate pot so that if one dies the others might not. Let the plant grow in high humidity after it germinates for about 4-5 days (I took one out as soon as I saw it had germinated and it
died).

I don't think that smoking the seeds is necessary. I have had nearly 100% germination rate without doing anything except putting them in a plastic bag under lights.

I grow mine under fluorescent lights next to an open window so it gets plenty of ventilation. I also have a fan blowing on my plant every night.

This is what I have gathered from my little experience growing roridula gorgonias, so take it for what its worth!

Here's a picture of my plant so far:

Bad picture, but you can see that its alive!

Another reason why one of my plants died is because I let it dry out too much. You have to be careful... not too much and not too little water. I keep mine damp pretty much constantly, but not as damp as other sundews.

It still has the seed on it, but its growing fine so I'm not going to try and take it off.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing.

I received two seeds a few weeks ago and now, finally did something with the, Outside, at a nearby apartment, I saw a smoldering campfire. I placed the seeds in a fishnet and hung the net near the smoke, downwind, for about 15 minutes. Then I placed one seed in the mini-greenhouse, in a pot of sown D. indica seeds, covered. The other went to the porch, outside, on a large pot with mostly sand. with any luck...

Back