What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just a thought

ive been thinking of way to get pamerida into the usa and ive came up with one good 1
ok so first you get a roridula with pamerida mating on it in the spring and summer in late summer and ship it in a large clear plastic bag so the pamerida will not leave the roridula. the mating pamerida lay their eggs in the bark of roridula so they should be ok for a couple weeks(maby). but even if the roridula dies some of the eggs will survive(maby) so just leave the roridula next to a live roridula so the bugs will "infect" the live roridula.
thanks
adam

If your talking about the insect Pameridea that has a symbiotic relationship with Roridula, it probably isn't allowed in the U.S for a good reason; whether it be because it is an invasive species or because of some other reason.

I wouldn't try anything like this. You could potentially cause some kind of disaster. lol

First of all, why are you trying to get Pameridea into the US? o.o

First of all, why are you trying to get Pameridea into the US? o.o

I'm guessing so he can imitate the natural symbiotic relationship it shares with Roridula.
Or in other words, just for kicks.

ya i like growing roridula. and my guess they would probly be happier with the natural partners. also they cant live off of roridula.

I don't know...I don't think it's a good idea. Besides, how will it be happier? I mean, sure, they have a relationship in the wild, but I doubt it'll be grow better with it.

well it gives the roridula more nutrients.

There's a thread on CPUK (prolly several anyways) about some dude in Europe who did just this, and he's been pretty successful. Dunno how he got 'em in; regardless, they thrive on his plant.

Basically, it's claimed that since the plant cannot produce its own digestive enzymes, it relies on the bugs to be the "stomachs". In other words, the plant catches insects, the assassin bugs eat the captured insects, they poo, and the plant can easily absorb the poo into its leaves as nutrients, like a foliar fertilizer spray I suppose.

Of course, this relationship is not crucial for the plants, otherwise no one would be able to grow them here in the US and elsewhere. Although, the insects rely solely on the plant for all of their needs.

-Ben

they poop on the leaves which contains nutrients then the leaves absorb the nutrients.

Back