What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Picture Thread 2009

Here are my devils claw as of a week or so ago.
IMG_6220.jpg

Look what popped up today:

Picture045-2.jpg

Actually, 2 popped up, but this took a better picture.

I now have 4 of them outside and this one that germinated in a tall bucket:

Picture004-3.jpg

wow they grow fast!

DSC06506.jpg

This is my ibicella flower pic :)

Great pictures guys! Nice to see that other people are also growing successfully!

Here is my patch as of today:

P6190047.jpg

This is a plant that germinated at the same time as the ones in the patch. This one was kept in the little 3in pot, though. Obviously, it is much smaller and has less foliage than the ones I moved into the ground:

P6190056.jpg

If you guys want to know when growth accelerates and flowering is near, look for the major branching of the main stem. Once the main stem branches into two, expect faster growth and the emergence of flowers. The tips of the two branches take over as the meristems and new growth emerges from there. All of my plants did this last year, but not all may do this, especially those grown in pots. Here is an image to illustrate:

P6190052.jpg

I already have fruit coming along. Here is what to expect after you pollinate. The flowers last from 24 to 48 hours. After this the flower will wilt and dry:

P6190043.jpg

The flower will then usually fall off. With it, the stamens will fall off. The sepals will be left over along with the style:

P6190049.jpg

Soon, the remaining part of the style and the ovary will bulge, change to a green color, and will seem to push out of the sepal cluster. This is the beginning of the development of the fruit:

P6190042.jpg

You have to pollinate them?

Joel, is the little guy with the purple cotyledon one of my Ibicellas from last year or could that be a parviflora from what you sent me? There are now 4 devil's claw seedlings that popped up in various spots I planted, (outside).

Jim, it could be either. I'm not sure, but if I would have to guess, I'd go with Ibicella and not Proboscidea based on the color.

As with most cases, the flower will tell.

Petmantis, are you sure that your pictured plant is Ibicella? Ibicella flowers are yellow...

New pics... 8 seedlings so far:

Picture036-2.jpg

Picture034-3.jpg

Picture032-3.jpg

Picture031-1.jpg

Did any sprout in the pond you threw them into?

It was, I guess it called a seep. Not that I can tell, now that there's so much of the indigeonous foliage springing up. But hey, I 've 8 seedlings so far!

hey....well i got a few to sprout and they surprised me...i moved everything outside and a frost hit and killed off all my vegis, but they proboscidea never sprouted then a couple weeks later they all sprouted at once and now i planted them in the ground...there were more but...*cough* my grandpa accidentally for a reason idk, tilled one line in the garden...and in that line were about 5-8 proboscidea...*cough* so yeah now im starting to think is planting in a line a good thing? lol...well anyway the good news is i had about 5 more plants sprout, and i planted them right in the ground....and they are just starting to pick up growth speed now...

Picture047.jpg

Picture048.jpg

dustin

Woah thats alot, dustin!

I've noticed that once it flowers, the whole flower comes off after its been pollinated. It's not even seperate petals, its just one fat flower. After it falls off it leaves the stigma ? Am I correct or did something rip the flower off?

I've noticed that once it flowers, the whole flower comes off after its been pollinated. It's not even seperate petals, its just one fat flower. After it falls off it leaves the stigma ? Am I correct or did something rip the flower off?

That's correct, Halt. The flower does have petals, but they are all fused together. A little after pollination the entire thing falls off. See the post I made on 6/19/09 on this thread. I have pictures. :)

EDIT: I got a deformed flower a couple of days a go for the first time since growing Proboscidea. I pollinated it... maybe something special will pop up.

Regular flower for comparison:

P6250020.jpg

Here is the deformed flower. Note the extra petals:

P6250022.jpg

View from above:

P6250026.jpg

Note the double yellow nectar trail:

P6250023.jpg

Here is my Devil Claws seedlings:
DevilClaws.jpg

What species of Devil Claws are these? I have never seen leaves like that before until they sprouted.

Here is my Devil Claws seedlings:
DevilClaws.jpg

What species of Devil Claws are these? I have never seen leaves like that before until they sprouted.

Those don't look like Devil's Claws. :-(

Those don't look like Devil's Claws. :-(

Yeah, those look more like oak sprouts or something. Definitely not devil's claw.

Jason

Does the Devil Claws have the purple underside? Those have the purple underside on the leaves.

Does the Devil Claws have the purple underside? Those have the purple underside on the leaves.

No. That's definitely not devil's claw. The leaf shape is all wrong, and so is the stem. The whole stem should be covered in fine sticky hairs.

Jason

Back