What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Picture Thread 2009

I only got one dried pod this year. I will definately try to plant it on somewhere thats big.

It looks like I'm getting a seed pod on Devil Claw #1.

Picture025-2.jpg

This is what happens when you don't give your plant enough room to grow... I thought it was a little cute.

P9170018.jpg

I have 3 fruits on my Devil Claws Plants here. I thought the outer coating would have shedded by now. When will it shed?

Hi....may I ask what kind of soil do they need?Same with other cps?

Hi....may I ask what kind of soil do they need?Same with other cps?

Nope. These are a bit easier, and your in Malay. so they should be able to grow year round. You can grow these with Fertilizer and tap water. btw, do they speak hokkien in malay, like in indo?

do i have to pollinate? it's flowering and i want to have seeds. Some already are done flowering, i didnt hand pollinate, could they still possibly produce seeds?

do i have to pollinate? it's flowering and i want to have seeds. Some already are done flowering, i didnt hand pollinate, could they still possibly produce seeds?

Pollination could have been accomplished by any appropriate pollinator (like a bumblebee or honeybee for these plants). If you don't see a fruit starting to grow a couple of days after the flower is spent, then it usually means that it wasn't pollinated.

Also, I hate to be a downer, but it is pretty late in the season to be pollinating and pushing for fruit. Especially in your case since your in PA. Remember that P. parviflora is an annual. The fruit need at least 50 days to mature, and by that time it'll be November and pretty cold. In other words, your plants will be long gone. This is assuming you are growing them outside. I guess it is possible to move the plants into a heated greenhouse and continue growing them through the winter...

My plants are already looking dead-ish. I had another plentiful harvest this year and will be having a seed offer early next year if you need some.

Do I pick off my ripened seed pod and bring it in the house to shed or do I leave it on the plant? Just asking.

Do I pick off my ripened seed pod and bring it in the house to shed or do I leave it on the plant? Just asking.

Cut it off when you see the skin starting to split. It usually begins to split at the distal end (the pointy end). At this point, I usually just bring them indoors and place them on a cardboard surface. I give them plenty of time to dry. The skin shrivels and the claw will open up exposing the seed inside.

It's also perfectly fine to leave the fruit on the plant until the flesh completely falls off, but then you risk losing seed as the claw opens up.

Thanks but I haven't noticed any splitting on my fruit. When is it supposed to start? It has been on there more than 50 days.

Thanks but I haven't noticed any splitting on my fruit. When is it supposed to start? It has been on there more than 50 days.

50 days is just an average, which means that yours may take more time. Just be patient and keep and on it. :)

WOW!!!! thats a lot of seeds, and pods, my first year is brought me 4 plants, 4 pods ranging from 4-7in long im guessing they are still drying inside, ill post pics there just starting to shed there top layer

Pollination could have been accomplished by any appropriate pollinator (like a bumblebee or honeybee for these plants). If you don't see a fruit starting to grow a couple of days after the flower is spent, then it usually means that it wasn't pollinated.

Also, I hate to be a downer, but it is pretty late in the season to be pollinating and pushing for fruit. Especially in your case since your in PA. Remember that P. parviflora is an annual. The fruit need at least 50 days to mature, and by that time it'll be November and pretty cold. In other words, your plants will be long gone. This is assuming you are growing them outside. I guess it is possible to move the plants into a heated greenhouse and continue growing them through the winter...

My plants are already looking dead-ish. I had another plentiful harvest this year and will be having a seed offer early next year if you need some.

I take mine to the garage when it gets cold overnight. When it gets too cold to leave them out during day, i will put them under light in the basement. Also, there are a ton of bees around right now.

here's my first claw that finally dried completely :)

pictures072.jpg

pictures071.jpg

both pics are of the same pod

dustin

Nope. These are a bit easier, and your in Malay. so they should be able to grow year round. You can grow these with Fertilizer and tap water. btw, do they speak hokkien in malay, like in indo?
Oh sorry...forgot about this post and they do:-DI wan seeds...

Proboscidea parviflora
proboscidea_parviflora_seedpod.jpg

Back