What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Testing Devil Claws Seeds

I'm not sure if those Black Seeded Devil Claws I got from Arziona is still fresh or not. How can I find out?

plant them?

Thanks and I did plant them after I soaked them overnight. Are they supposed to swell when you soak the seeds or not?

They swell very little after a 48 hour bath.

You bring up a very good point, Winter Flurry. I'm finding out that freshness (age) of the seed is very important for both Proboscidea and Ibicella species. I got some Ibicella seed and a different variety of Proboscidea seed than I usually grow. Both were from a seed bank online. However, none of them have germinated after several weeks while my own fresh seed have.

I'm guessing that the fresher the seed (less than a year old) the better germination rates you'll have. Seed banks tend to hold seed for quite a while, so it's likely that not all seed is fresh. Don't give up though, sometimes Devil's Claws are arrogant and won't germinate for quite a bit, especially those black seed varieties and especially if they don't have ideal conditions.

Demand fresh seed people! :-O

Thanks and I will wait to see if they come up. Should I have soaked them for 2 days instead of a day? That is a good idea.

Thanks and I will wait to see if they come up. Should I have soaked them for 2 days instead of a day? That is a good idea.

No, not really. I do it for two days just because that is what has worked for me since I began growing them. Almost all seed of all plants need constant moisture to initiate cell division, which later leads to germination. So placing seed that have a thick outer seed coat (like devil's claw seed) in a water bath will allow the water to penetrate the seed coat more easily than if it were in soil, as water constantly surrounds the seed in the water bath.

Straight sowing will work fine as long as you keep the soil from drying out and keep them in hot temperatures, and of course, your one day seed bath is okay too. :)

Thanks and those Black Seeded Devil Claws seem to still be good because they are sprouting at my sister's house here because I planted them near the pasture fence. Will they grow into the pasture here?

Back