What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Same Seed, Different Journal

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
Well, I finally gave in and sent in a SASE to Joosa for some of his Proboscidea parvifora var. hohokamiana. The medium sized, white seed arrived today in the mail. I'll be starting a journal based on experiments, experiences, a different journal, and observations.

Day One: Start the Seed:
Today, the seeds came in the mail. A note came with the well-packaged seed. I counted 76 individual seeds. I kept 13 of them, and the rest I am either storing for coming years or trading/ giving away. I filled a small sauce dish from the cabinet with about room temperature tap water (hard as it is) and started a soak around 6:30 PM, PST. As I wright this, most of the seed have already sunk to the bottom.

Countless experiments will be coming. Right now, I've decided to scarify 6 of the seeds, leave six alone, and just keep one without doing much in my family's vegetable patch. Updates coming when available.
(I realized that it was a bit late to start seed, but better late than never!)

:cool: ,
Clue

(A special thanks to Joosa, for writing a whole guide and just being overall generous, and anybody who's ever put up with my copy-cating... :))

Day Two:
Temperatures are supposed to rise soon. Nothing much happened to the seed. They are still too hard to scarify, but they have imbibed a whole lot of water (not that there was a lot...), but tomorrow, I'm sure that they will be softer.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UPDATE: The patch is ready! However, I can only fit two of these little devils in there, and one will go by the tomatoes as a back up. (The tomatoes are on a timed watering system, so I'll have to wake up and water the patch early.) I guess that I'm only keeping three.

Clue

Day Three:
The seed was soft enough to be scarified (well, more like peeled with a fingernail :D), at around 5:15 PM. Two were scarified, one was not. They have just been sown on pure peat at 5:32 PM, and covered with a bit of plastic.

I did some work on the patch, namely mixing soil and watering deeply.

Day Four:
Nothin'. Patch is all ready, soil is mixed, water still by hand.

Germination Rate:
0/3

Day Five, Six, Seven, and Eight:
Nothing yet,

Germination Count:
Scarified: 0/2
Unscarred: 0/1

Back