What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brocchinia Reducta is very.....boring.

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I've had my Brocchinia Reducta for awhile now (I believe I got it in August or September). Anyways, I've found it to be really boring. It hardly grows at all, and every couple of months I throw a bug into the water tank.

So yeah, what should I do with it? I know that it's a fairly rare plant and it's uncommon in collections, so what should I do with it?

I'll trade you for it. How about a few sarracenia for your boring plant? :)

Well, it's a bromeliad...What did you expect?

Well, it's a bromeliad...What did you expect?

Well, it's the world's only carnivorous bromeliad, and the Savage Garden says it's very uncommon in collections. I found several for a very good price and I took advantage of the opportunity.

It's one of two: catopsis berteroniana being the other.

It's one of two: catopsis berteroniana being the other.

Brocchinia Reducta is the only one that actually produces enzymes to break down prey.

Brocchinia Reducta is the only one that actually produces enzymes to break down prey.

From what I've read, B. reducta doesn't produce digestive enzymes. And even if it does, then it isn't the only species in the Brocchinia genus that's probably carnivorous: B. hechtioides can be considered carnivorous as well.

There are a couple of other brocchinia being studied for being potential carnivores as well.
I love B. reducta, ive been trying to get it into my collection for awhile, hell if you dont want it because its "boring" im pretty sure i can handle a boring plant ;P many of mine are so slow growing as it is, i wont even notice. ahahahhaha

I'll trade you for it. How about a few sarracenia for your boring plant? :)

LOL! You beat me to it... only I have a plethora of Mexican pings!

Back