What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, who has experience with Martynia? Any help is appreciated.

joossa

Aklys
I hit the jackpot and managed to get some fresh Martynia pods with seed in them.

P4210002.jpg

I have been searching frantically over the last months for possible sources regarding cultivation of these plants. I've looked at scholarly articles, books, web sties, etc. I even got in contact with a distant relative in a part of Mexico where these plants grow like weeds. He mentions that they are considered noxious and would not imagine why anyone would want to grow them intentionally. Unfortunately, there is very little about their cultivation out there... :(

Throughout this entire quest, I managed to get only one measly picture of how the seeds look like! I do have a pretty good idea about how to go about this, though, but would like to have the most info I can acquire.

So, I would like to know if any of you have any experience and/or know anything regarding cultivation of these. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am especially interested in seed extraction (from pod) and/or any treatments to aid in germination.

Hopefully, I can be as successful with these as I was with those *other* plants I grow every year. ;) Then I can start unloading them on to the TerraForums community!

Thanks!

Joel

*no expert here*

If you are wanting to extract the seeds completely, it looks like you can wedge some small needle nose pliers in between the two barbs and gently pry them open. Just a thought. Scissors might even work.

*no expert here*

If you are wanting to extract the seeds completely, it looks like you can wedge some small needle nose pliers in between the two barbs and gently pry them open. Just a thought. Scissors might even work.

Let's see... I already tried: a hacksaw, screwdriver, dissecting prong, tweezers, and a nail and hammer and damaged some seed in the process. The opening on these things are extremely narrow and they are harder than walnuts.

I had seeds, once, but no germination.

Get a macaw parrot and give him a try?

Let's see... I already tried: a hacksaw, screwdriver, dissecting prong, tweezers, and a nail and hammer and damaged some seed in the process. The opening on these things are extremely narrow and they are harder than walnuts.

D'OH! I probably would have used that hammer and smashed them all to bits after trying less than half of what you tried. LOL.

Good luck.

what about if you try a bench vice? I think you could probably be successful like that.

Vise grip pliers. Set it to where it's closed only a few millimeters smaller than the nut, then give it a squeeze. I use this method to open walnuts without smashing the meat.

Thanks for the replies. I did use a pair of vise grip pliers and it was better than the other methods. I manage to extract some seed unharmed. The tricky thing is that there is literally no room in there and any damage to the pod usually results in harm to the seed.

Since I have a few of these, I am going to soak some pods with seed inside in some hot water for the next several days. Then I will see if the pods soften up. I may even bury the treated pods in the ground and see if seedlings emerge.

This is the wrong plant. That looks like a Proboscidea species. There seems to be some confusion and mixing with the Proboscidea, Ibicella, and Martynia names.

If I am successful, I'll report back.

Back