What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for catopsis germination

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I figured I might show off something that I was surprised to see work sooo effectively. May be helpful for a lot of people in the future who plan to try and grow these from seed as well.

A little while back ie., we did a BCP order where I ordered some B. reducta, B. tatei and catopsis seed.

As expected, unfortunately no germination for most. But, when I saw the catopsis seed, I remembered something from my idol Sir David Attenborough's documentaries. Many seed which have a furry or stringy covering in some of these places need to be burnt before they can actually germinate. They can wait for years if they have to.

So, I split up the catopsis seed into two bunches. For one bunch, I directly put it in the same pot without any treatment.

Seed of catopsis.

Catopsis_berteroniana_Samen_1web.JPG

For another small bunch, I took a match and actually burnt the seed and planted them.

Check this out...amazingly... its the burnt clump with a high germination rate that actually grew out into cute little Catopsises :p

5172795004_553c40b180_z.jpg

This is a little pot with a bunch of random seed in it. Currently I thew a bit of darlingtonia seed in there that I got from a good friend. Still awaiting germination.

cheers,

V

Very good thinking!
This is thinking out of the box at its finest!
Congrats!
Good to see and good growing!
:bigthumpup:

thank you for the nice comments. Next project with these is to try and see if I can mount them. :)

Back