What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line Question

The Seed pods of my Devil Claws has lines down the sides of them. What does that mean and any ideas? Just wondering.

Does it look like the skin is separating at the lines? If so, then they are just ripening up and getting ready to split open to spread seed.

If the lines are there , but not fissure-like (splitting the skin) then that means the fruit is just growing and will eventually split there.

I saw your picture int he other thread. It's looking really good and healthy! Congrats! Mine are barely starting to flower.

Thank you. Did I harvest it too early? I saw the lines and decided to harvest it. it didn't look like it was seperating at the lines.

Thank you. Did I harvest it too early? I saw the lines and decided to harvest it. it didn't look like it was seperating at the lines.

You may have harvested a bit too early. You have to wait until the skin is no longer tender. A good indicator of a ripe claw is when the skin gets brittle on the distal end of the claw and the skin surrounding the capsule portion becomes a little darker and drier. As mentioned, the skin will also start splitting at those lines. So, look for the lines becoming more pronounced and fissure-like. I leave the fruit on as long as possible before harvesting, sometimes even letting the claw start splitting on the plant.

Thanks. Will they ripen off the plant like in a window or not? Just wondering. What should I do with the 2 I harvested too early if they won't ripen?

Thanks. Will they ripen off the plant like in a window or not? Just wondering. What should I do with the 2 I harvested too early if they won't ripen?

They may ripen off the plant if they are old enough to begin with. No harm in trying.... Once they're dry check out the seeds inside.

Remember the plants are vigorous and produce copious amounts of claws and seed under ideal conditions, so losing two claws is no big deal.

Thanks and I always wait until there is one or 2 lines down the middle of the seed pod befire I harvest. Is it ok to harvest when there is 2 lines? Just curious.

Last edited:
Back