What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylidium debile

Updated pics.. one month later. Can't believe no one wanted to trade for some of this. Oh well.. I'm sure Andrew will enjoy it. It's carnivorous parts have become clearly visible.

IMG_6627.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

IMG_6631.jpg

IMG_6633.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

Nice job! Where's the cat pics?

Perhaps not the best place to ask.. Are stylidium plants crossable? Perhaps, s. debile with s. gramnifolium?

Nice Stylidium! I like these plants. I've been growing S. graminifolium outside with my Sarrs this year, and it' been growing like crazy. I hope to see it flower next year.

@NewspaperFort: I have found detailed info on Stylidium to be scarce, but from what I have read hybrids do exist but are rare.

How are they carnivorous? I've never even heard of Stylidium.

the stems, just below the flower are sticky and exude digestive juices.
Only after flowering are they carnivorous.
I think I got that right :blush:

Very nice terrarium, your plants are much larger then mine ever got!

My plants flowered for a very brief time before getting hit by a spidermite infestation, now I just have a bunch of tiny little divisions.

beautiful plants Mass!
I am looking forward to seeing flowers from the division you gave me.
Thanks Buddy!

beautiful plants Mass!
I am looking forward to seeing flowers from the division you gave me.
Thanks Buddy!

My pleasure buddy.
On a side note, the Redwood growths on the burl are QUICKLY starting to outgrow the display tank. Just how big are these suckers gonna get?

My pleasure buddy.
On a side note, the Redwood growths on the burl are QUICKLY starting to outgrow the display tank. Just how big are these suckers gonna get?

Ummm...I can remember no less than 5 kids with a campfire, sleeping on a fallen log years ago:-D
Much like a Bonzai...limit the root space and you limit the plant size.
I have an older one (8-10yrs) about that size, it is about 28" tall atm, but looks much more mature with bark on the "tree's" and moss all over the burl.
Quite frankly Mass...it was the only plant I could think of to get for your B-Day that you didn't already have! I hope Y'all enjoy it.

haha.. I don't have an eddy or hurrelliana yet. ;)

Helilover, from what I know they are strongly suspect for being carnivorous or proto-carnivorous, especially considering they often grow in similar habitats as other CP's, but a lot still needs to be studied to show that thay actually extract nutrients from trapped insects.

Barry Rice puts them in the "quasi-carnivorous" category. He explains what is known about their carnivory here:

http://sarracenia.com/faq/faq5760.html

Cheers!

Nice looking plants ya got there. How big (tall and wide) is the plant mass?

47510510.gif

Nice looking plants ya got there. How big (tall and wide) is the plant mass?

Dunno, ask Andrew (the forum owner).. I sent him the entire clump for his birthday.

Looks good! Stylidium is an excellent plant. It was a mainstay in my collection for many years. I never tried growing it in live sphag.

Back