What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skinny growth on Catopsis?

I noticed last night that my Catopsis berteroniana has suddenly gotten quite "skinny." I see the plant every day so it was a surprise. I don't see signs of an inflorescence forming, and I've read that the plant only makes buds when it flowers, so I'm not sure what is happening. Does anyone know what it is doing?

DSC_0703.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

Could be insufficient lighting, could be Catopsis morreniana. The 2 species have been confused many times, even by the experts.

It honestly looks like poor lighting though. What kind of lights do you have them under ?

It is a north-facing windowsill so there are a few hours of direct sun in the afternoon. There isn't any supplemental lighting. I've had the plant growing there for five months, though, and this is the first time I have seen it do this.

C.berteroniana needs intense, direct light. A north facing window without supplemental lighting is not enough. The plant is starting to etiolate because it's looking for more light.

Hmm, I could give it full sun outside but the water in the leaves would dry up really fast. Maybe I will try it in one of my tanks outside.

They often go dry for long periods of time in the wild. They grow on very exposed branches in areas that are often seasonally dry (at least in this country). Daily drying out of the water in the axils will not bother the plant. You'll probably have to acclimate it back to full sun before putting it back out there.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll move it to a shaded place outside first and gradually increase its exposure to sunlight.

It looks like the plant is going to flower. I moved it to a place with several hours of sun a day and it is still "skinny."

DSC_0860.jpg

DSC_0861.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

I guess I should start looking for pups.

Back