What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pleurozia purpurea a carnivorous UK Liverwort

This subject arose in discussion yesterday with Stephen Morley at his open day. I mentioned my Liverworts and said a carnivorous one would link two of my plant types and there it is.

www.bbsfieldguide.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/liverworts/Pleurozia_purpurea.pdf

The lower leaf lobes of Pleurozia species are fused, forming a closed water sac covered by a movable lid similar in structure to those of the angiosperm genus Utricularia. These sacs were assumed to play a role in water storage, but a 2005 study on Pleurozia purpurea found that the sacs attract and trap ciliates, much in the same way as Utricularia. Observations of plants in situ also revealed a large number of trapped prey within the sacs, suggesting that the species in this genus obtain some benefit from a carnivorous habit.

BTW , it's North American too

Back