What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devils Claw

I was wondering about these plants because of the area I live in they would be really good plants to own. What do they look like (I've only ever seen a picture of the seed in the savage garden) and where could I get one? From this site. Are they annuals or perinnials. I'm to much of a beginner for annuals. Propagating and all. Any info would be greatly apprecialted

Hey Shauntell,

Ibicella is a very neat plant that I, too, am on the lookout for.

general info

carnivory info

PFT does unfortunately not sell Ibicella, but many people grow it and may be willing to sell, trade, or give away a plant or seeds. Carnivorous plant society seedbanks also occasionally offer Ibicella.

Chris

And getting back on topic...
wink.gif

I have planted some seeds of Ibicella, but it might take a while for them to germinate(~1 year?).

Good Lord.

Sarracenia purpurea doenst produce enzymes, and I think that Darlintonia californica only produces one or two...

Does that meanthey arent carnivorous? No... The get bugs to help... Bacteria actually... I am supposing this means that triphophyllum is carnivours too (thats the onethat has assasin bugs? if not then thats the one i'm talking about)...

all plants would be carnivorous in the way your saying it, that they can absorb nuitriends throguh the leaves, like bug juices. But they ar not truly carnivorous, truly would be that they lure, make enzumes, and consume prey

No triphophyllum is carnivorous. It's Roridula that rely on assassin bugs.

And S.Purpurea does produce enzymes! I think it is about 3-5 different enzymes but they are weak that is why water is there, to help with catching the insects mostly as if they fell in an empty pitcher, they wouldn't get out but they wouldn't get digested either. And Darlingtonia makes 1 VERY tiny and weak type of enzyme. so yes they are both enzyme producing carnivorous palnts like they have always been Parasuco.
wink.gif

For example, a vft contains all the characteristic to be a true carnivorous plant, it makes a scent to lure, and red coloration. Traps, and digests with its own enzymes. Sarracennia purpurea is only partiall carnivorous, hence, it does not contain everything to be a TRUE cp.  Some utricularia dont have a way of lue, just luck for the bug to pass (as far as we know) so they are semi-carnivorous, not completely. Even tho they are carnivorous, they do not possess everything to be a complete carnivore.

Was That Repetetive of what? Ha
wink.gif

Hi Tim,
Sarracenia purpurea does attract, trap, kill, digest and absorb its prey complete with digestive enzyme producing ability (albeit less with this species). So how would you describe it as only being "partially carnivorous"?

A semi carnivorous plant in the pitfall trap would be the teasel that have cupped bracts which trap water; insect material falls in and by bacterial decay, the plant gets a 'foliar feed' by 'accident'. That is what I would call a 'partially carnivorous plant'. There is no evidence for attraction, but looking at purps they have all the hallmarks of a true carnivore.

I'll quote CPN volume 30 no. 2 on this one: "Juniper et al. (1989) have described carnivorous plants as those that exhibit the 'carnivorous syndrome', which they define as having six attributes with respect to prey: 1)Attract, 2)Retain, 3)Trap, 4)Kill, 5) Digest, 6)Absorb useful substances."

Carnivory in plants is not cut-and-dry. Some plants don't seem to fit into any particular category, but people try to lump them into categories anyway because it is our nature.

Chris

Adding to all the above!
smile.gif

I think that enzyme production is not really the basis of how to tell if a plant is carnivorous or not. Even if All sarracenia DIDN'T produce any digestive enzymes they could still legitimatley fall into the 'carnivorous' category. They produce the means to lure and trap the prey. and then after the product has been broken down by bacterial activity absorb the resulting fluid. A good example of a species would be Heliamphora. If I am correct this does not produce any detectable enzymes yet it has a means to attract (nectar) trap (slippery pitcher walls and a bath of fluid) and then absorb the nutritious fluid.

I thought purps didnt produce enzymes....

Oh well. Yah. Helis are the kind of instance i was thinking of, so, anyhow. They are still carnivours. why should that one with the assasin bug be? An why not bronchinnea reducta?

Roridula is a plant wich I don't think should be classed as a straight out carnivorous plant as it has no way of making any use of the trapped insects by itself. I think it should be classed as a sub-carnivor.
The plant has obviously devised a very efficient trapping mechanism. If you have never touched a Roridula, the drops of glue are much stronger than a sundew. So strong that when you pull your finger away from the plant, it doesnt form a long strand that breaks, it pulls the entire plant over to you until the stress causes it to pull away!This seems to elaborate to be purely for self defence and it has been shown that plants with the assasin bugs living on them grow a lot faster than plants without.

I thought I would add that almost all animals( and CPs) rely some what on bacteria for digestion. Even we do, so i think if a plant relies on bacteria for digestion they should still be considered carnivorous.

Back on the S.Purpurea for a second: A quote from D'amato's book: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Insects that encounter the purple pitcher plant,S.Purpurea down in the collected rain water where they slowly decompose by enzymes and bacterial decay.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> And notice the word AND between enzymes and bacterial. So just another point out.
wink.gif

Thats what i was saying, it must have all those atributes to be totally trule stars and stripes, full carnivorous, missing one, means its partially carnivorous, but its still carnivorous, even tho it has a handicap. And someone said earlier that Sarra purpurea does not produce enzymes. But i didnt see ep G's post. DOH!
mad.gif
Thanks nep g!
biggrin.gif

So we're all settled that S.Purpurea is a CP like it always has been right!
smile.gif

Boy do i feel foolish...
confused.gif

EDIT: I've tidied this thread up a bit, so if it looks strange, I am to blame. :)

You guys are hilarious. I don't check this thing for four days and there's 49 replies mainly of you beating the crap out of each other and semi-carnivores. Now, for the million dollar question does anyone know about devil's claw? Other then the fact they're no longer considered carnivorous.
tounge.gif

Back