What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triphyophyllum

I was wondering , does anybody cultivate or knows who cultivates this plant . i'd like to know and see a pic .sounds very interesting .

Hi There:

I was looking into the availability of seeds from this plants too. From what I have found out, the seeds are extreamly rare, and those people who once grow them don't keep any seeds at all. So, it is alomost impossible to find anyone who keep seeds of this species.

Regard

Kupo

I don't think anyone has the capabilities to grow it big enough to set seed...

Ok. After some reading... I'M WRONG. Ooops... Even so... The ones that were grown to flowering size were in no ordinary institution...

In natural habitat Triphyophyllum sets seed during the raining season, where it is extremly(!!!) difficult to reach the plants and collect seed.

Thriphyophyllum grows in the rainforests so I could imagine that the seed would also have a very short lifetime (like Nepenthes seed) so if you could obtain some you have to sow them imidiatly.

If I remember correct Tripyhophyllum flowered at the botanical garden of Würzburg (Germany). At least they grow a lot of seedlings and one big plant there to make biochemical experiments.

Martin

I think you are right martin, but there are other location in Africa that are growing it. Only two locations in the world that these plants is being cultivated for experimental purpose.

Triphyophyllum now is in vitro and growing there pretty well I was told. But I have never seen the flasks and as long as research is going on no plants will be available for the hobbiest.

Stefan

For those who click on this thread hoping to see a Triph pic, here is one from masozravky.com (bestcarnivorousplants.com?) :

Triphyophyllum_peltatum_002_Copyright_Rostislav_Simek.jpg

A younger one from Nature et Paysages:

triphyophyllum.JPG

An older one from masozravky.com:

Triphyophyllum_peltatum_Bonn_090900.JPG

Back