What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora foetida

Hi all,

Since my garden gets attacked by -what I think is
confused.gif
- Passiflora foetida, I wanted to ask if these plants, ie the flower buds are considered carnivorous or just 'insect catching'? What's the latest on this?

Flower bud:
foebud.jpg

Flower:
foeflower.jpg

cool , i wish i had a passion flower , heres some info on foetida : http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5750.html , i thin k it is carnivorous but i guess barry just did'nt have much luck growing it . if its a nuisance in your garden i'll take a few plants , i guess .

The bracts are just to protect the flower buds - it is highly unlikely they would be providing any nutritional benefit to the plant.

Giles

It has been reported that p. foetida MIGHT be carnivorous but that has not been proven. The feathery bracts supposedly pick up insects but I don't think it has been studied as to whether the insects provide any nutrition to the plant.

If you have any cuttings available, I'd love to work out a trade if I have anything you'd be interested in. I am a passiflora grower and don't have p. foetida (also called the "goat scented passionflower".)

Suzanne

I had the opportunity to discuss the possible carnivorous role of the sticky bracts of Passiflora foetida with John Vanderplank,  author of the renowned book 'Passion Flowers' and holder of the UK National Collection of Passiflora, at Chelsea Flower Show in London in 2001. He seemed fairly convinced that whilst the primary role of these bracts is defensive, to protect the reproductive structures, the presence of protease enzymes is strongly suggestive of a secondary, carnivorous function.

See this link for an abstract detailing the research by Radhamani, Sudarshana and Krishnan, which supports this view - Passiflora foetida abstract.

Obviously this species requires more research to establish whether or not P. foetida absorbs nutrients from captured insects and actually benefits from them. However, in my view, the presence of digestive enzymes, not present in several 'carnivorous' plants, for example Darlingtonia, definitely warrants further investigation.

Vic

Thanks for all the answers! I will check if I find some dead insects on the plants and take images if successful.
I am located in the Philippines, therefore it might not be allowed to send plants or cuttings without phytosanitary papers etc. I guess in a few weeks we can talk about seeds, since I see some small fruits developing.

Ahhh...no problem Leucophylla. I didn't realize you were not on the mainland U.S. I know that's a hassle. IF you get some seeds, let me know. Maybe they would be easier and safer to mail.

Thanks Vic for that information. Very interesting. I'm glad someone is discussing it at least. It would make fascinating study for someone with the time and know-how.

Suzanne

I can find some dead caterpillars on the bracts. If these are eaten by the plant or if these just have hatched, I assume the latter. Anyway I could only find the caterpillars on the bracts, which could be a hint that the plant is benefitting from them, or maybe from their hull...? Well, just to feed the discussion
wink.gif

Right now we have frequent strong rains and I am anyway surprised to find something on the bracts.

Dead caterpillar

Caterpillar: Blurry live version :)

Very interesting.
smile.gif
And gross. lol Maybe the bracts secrete a type of insecticide to keep pests from reaching and eathin the flower?? Have you ever noticed anything munching on the flowers themselves?

Its a very pretty plant though...the bracts are quite nice.

Hi all,

just found some plants at a beach nearby. These seem to be way more sticky and were loaded with dead insects (dark spots on the image).

foe400.jpg

Plants were growing almost on the beach in a very saline Mangrove habitat.

Thats interesting. There is a reason for everything in nature so that feature must benefit the plant in some way even if just a protective device. But I wonder why just that one species of passiflora has the sticky bracts. I wonder if the sticky stuff has some natural insecticide in it.

Thanks for the pic.
smile.gif
I still want to get one of those. They might have them at Loggees.

Suzanne

Hi. Mybe you can boile an egg and put some of the white part of it(wich is protein) on the sticky part and see if it disolves it. If it does it might get a clearer prespective about the Carnivorous or not nature of the plant...

YtK

Well, that plant is on the beach and I am not anymore
sad.gif
. I brought however a cutting and will try it in my garden. Although it is rooting already, it will take some time to flower. Anyway, according to the article cited by Vic the presence of Protease is already proofen. That's already more carnivory than for Darlingtonia!
I might anyway try your egg white suggestion, but yah - later  
smile.gif
Not sure if it would work outdoors (heat, sun, rain, ants, geckos etc.)

PS: There are some traces on the web that P.foetida has been 'renamed' to P. arida. Can somebody confirm this officially?

Update: According to Hartmeyer/Schlauer the research methods of Radhamani TR; Sudarshana L; Krishnan R. proofing digestive enzymes in P. foetida were inappropriate. Their own research didn't reveal any digestive enzymes.

Wow...that must have taken some digging to get that info. Thanks Volker.
smile.gif
I guess that should put an end to that speculation.

Well, not really that much digging
smile.gif
. There is a similar P. foetida thread on the website of the German carnivorous plant society and I am just trying to synchronize both threads to have coarsely the same information in their respective languages.
According to Mr. Hartmeyer the mentioned research is not credible for the reason that the plants had been fed with refridgerated ants. Since the ants contain digestive enzymes themselves, the tests will most likely turn out positive. The other fact is the type of glue that resembles the resin-style glue as it is found in Roridula and prohibits the function of enzymes.

Back