What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roridula denata growers?

I received today some seeds of R. dentata and I know that seeds should be sown as soon as possible but I'm not sure what sort of process these plants need to germinate-do they need anything special like scarification, hot/cold stratification, a mini-brush fire on top of it's pot or some kind of secret voodoo ritual?
wink.gif

Any info you good folks may have will be very appreciated!
smile.gif

Yes, look into the thread on scarifying seeds.
A voodoo ritual for it might be a good idea, but I haven't found a good one yet...
confused.gif

Cool thanks!
smile.gif

Hi !

"...I received today some seeds of R. dentata and I know that seeds should be sown as soon as possible..."

No, Roridula seed can be stored for many years.
But August/ September is a good time to sow it (around March is even better)

"..but I'm not sure what sort of process these plants need to germinate-do they need anything special like scarification, hot/cold stratification, a mini-brush fire on top of it's pot or some kind of secret voodoo ritual?..."

Many people recommend gibberelin acid but for me it is definitly not necessary.

I would sow the seed on the surface, water it very well and after a week burn some dried grasses on the top of the soil and water again from above.
Place the pot on a very bright place with hot or warm days and significantly colder nights (maybe this is the reason why spring or autumn are the best times ?)
Maybe the seeds like a roughly 12 hour photoperiod but I'm not sure about this.

The seeds can take many months to germinate, I had sown some (6) this spring as described above and they germinated during the last weeks (3 of them till now)

The plants itself die very fast if you put them into stagnant air or under to high humidity or not enough light !
If you have no experience with Roridula I would recommend the "easier" Roridula gorgonias.

Good luck...

Martin

Back